rooting my droid

Last Updated:

1. BigMace23

BigMace23 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok so I really want to root my droid to customize it even further however there is one thing holding me back... when there is a new software update, what will happen if I download it with a rooted droid? Of course I will want the new update, but will I have to wait for it to get rooted too?

Thanks in advance

Advertisement
  2. BigMace23

??Anybody??

3. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Here's what I have done. I have changed the filename of the file that allows OTA updates. Now, my phone will not receive any Verizon updates. But that's OK. Why? Because I'll be forcing updates long before Verizon releases them to me anyway. ;) Last night, I updated to 2.1. This morning, a different version of 2.1. By the time Verizon releases 2.1 to the masses ... who knows that version us rooters/geeks will be on. :D

4. ItsHip2BSquare

ItsHip2BSquare Member

I don't mean to hijack the thread but what exactly does it meant to "root" an Android... I have seen this a TON and am new to the Android world (recovering crackberry addict)...

I'd love to take 2.1 for a spin but I don't want to screw up my phone in the process... Any explanation (or direction to another thread/learning source) would be awesome!

Thanks!

5. kraze0g

kraze0g Well-Known Member

i guess it just depends on if your patient, 2.1 will come out, just need to wait longer than those who rooted theirs. if you know your stuff and willing to take into consideration any risks (theres always a risk) then do it! but for me im not into doing that kind of stuff, especially with a 500 dollar phone :x its all personal preference, just make sure u follow instructions ;p

jen

6. BigMace23

really how hard is it to screw it up though? I've heard you really have to screw up before you brick your phone and if you follow the instructions it should all work right?

7. andrew53517

andrew53517 Well-Known Member

I think someone should come out with an instant root app...well, it'd be an apk.. but yeah! that'd make everyone happier! :D