• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting my htc evo

Okay, i have the HTC Evo.

I want to root this for customization. If i root it, can i still update to 2.2 tuesday, or do i hae to wait for a root for 2.2 comes out?

Im new to this, and i also wanted to ask. Can rooting my phone brick it?
After rooting I think that u might be able to do the update but u will loose ur rooting privileges so why dont root and wait for an Official Rooted 2.2 ROM.

I never came across a bricked phone because of rooting but I guess it can happen if u dont do it correctly.

U can try Simple Root is a 3 step process that a even 1 year old baby can do with no problems.

Upvote 0
If you root, don't update, use custom ROMs instead. Flashing any of the several Froyo ROMs already out there disables OTA updates by default. Once the official 2.2 drops, your choices will multiply again. Many of those will be based on Sprint's stock ROM, with varying degrees of what's pulled out and what's added in.

If you use the OTA, odds are the exploit will be plugged up and you won't be able to root for awhile until they find a new one. My .02 is that I prefer to keep my options open. YMMV.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones