Rooting my htc

Last Updated:

1. snoprosledneck

snoprosledneck Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have a HTC Desire and have been doing some thinking about rooting. For one i dont really understand how to do it. i know what it is but thats about it. I am also concerned about loosing the htc sense. i like it more than the other set ups. I have also heard that you will loose the ability to use wifi. The main reason i want to root is for more speed. I dont really need it but im a car guy at heart and where i can make something faster i feel the need to do so even if its not needed. thanks for your help.

Advertisement
  2. Dudditz

Dudditz Well-Known Member

3. Dudditz

Dudditz Well-Known Member

Oh, and still able to use Wifi with the above ROM.

4. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Think of a Porsche 911 (HTC Desire) Then Tune it a little for performance (Custom ROM), but you still have a Radio, Floor Matts and loads of other excess weight in there (Sense). Yep it looks nice and its comfortable, but strip it out and you get yourself a GT3.

5. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Well-Known Member

I agree although i have never used a no sense rom myself, the standard froyo roms are going to be faster than the ones with sense, touch wizz or what ever over lay.

6. SUroot

Yeah its a given. Its a sacrifice getting rid of sense (and htc apps), but you replace and "make do" with things until you eventually get it looking and running how you want and then wonder why you ever liked sense in the first place.

Well probably not most, be me anyway. I love my phone <3

7. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Well-Known Member

Snap i really like my phone to as you can do so much with it & to it, best part is with all the customizing i bet you would be hard pressed to find 2 identical.

8. snoprosledneck

So you say that sense is adding a lot of "weight"? So should i try running launcher pro or adw launcher for a while to see if i would like it? I guess i would like to run a CyanogenMod rom and be overclocked to 1.2 ghz if that can be done. I want Froyo which i know i can get if im rooted but is there going to be a differance between the "over the air" update and the "rooted" version? I guess I would root but i dont want to take a chance of loosing my warenty. If i do a Titanium backup and re flash back to stock if my phone were to start having problems can they tell it has been rooted or will they replace it under warenty? Thanks for all the help.

9. SUroot

You can put a stock, unrooted to back on, but the question is, is your current Rom operator branded? If so this could be hard to get hold of. i guess it may be worth asking HTC if they can deal with it under warranty directly. if they can, you could get away with putting stock back on.

I run defrost based on cyanogenmod. overlooked to 1305 MHz. if you like launchrpro as a replacement to sense, its a good Rom to go for. try it on your Rom, see if you like it.

snoprosledneck likes this.
  10. snoprosledneck

Ok ty very much! Do you run defrost every day? I hear some people say that they have roms that they run but now everyday, im guessing because they are to unstable. Have you had anyproblems with the defrost rom and running at 1300 mhz? What is the differance between a rooted htc with froyo and getting it over the air? With defrost will i loose the ability of "pinch to zoom" or anything?

11. snoprosledneck

bump

12. SUroot

Sorry, Didn't see this before.

Yes, I run it as my only rom. The 1305Mhz Kernel apparently had an incorrect multiplier (so wasnt running that fast). Running now on 1190Mhz. I have no problems. It uses the stock android browser (theres no HTC stuff on it).. and yes, it has pinch zoom.

The difference with a rooted HTC running froyo and froyo OTA is that one of them is rooted. It depends what version of froyo you have though (HTC Sense based, vanilla etc)

13. EddyOS

EddyOS Well-Known Member

You can root all version of the Desire now, so it doesn't matter what you have. The main thing is making sure the ROM your Desire comes with is available as an RUU so if you need to go back to stock you can revert back to stock

14. snoprosledneck

ok I just dont want to root then come to fine that the OTA version of froyo is better than the ported one. IDK guess i'm really trying to talk myself into doing it sometime but cant see a benifit besides the setcpu app which is almost enough in its self cuz i wanna underclock while screen is off for battery life.

15. SUroot

The rooted.one doesn't have to be ported.