• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting on Apple IBook?

Hey guys,

Im new to the forums here, I have a Droid currently running Froyo and I have been thinking about rooting my phone. I recently picked up and Apple IBook G3 and I was curious if I will have any problems rooting on the Apple OSX. The main reason I'm asking is because I have noticed that some roots require using the command prompt in Windows. I did search the forums for anything I could find but didnt really find anything useful.

The root I am planning on using is Soup or Root. This will be my first endeavour in to Rooting so any and all suggestions are greatly apprciated :D

Thanks

PS- Mods if I posted this in the wrong place please move it to the correct one

ahh... I was thinking shadowdude777 was implying to make the G3 a dual boot system, which the newer macs can do but the old G3 cannot... I see

but chevboy_0, if you have access to a PC, you can root in a few minutes and not really ever need the PC again. so, hardly worth the effort to setup a system just to do a 15 minute job that is likely not going to be needed again after the 15 minutes.

Upvote 0
but there in lies the rub. Is setting up ADB on a mac different than the directions and vid shown for a PC? Are the terminal commands the same? do you need drivers or does simply attaching the phone via USB get you access? if you need mac drivers, do they exist?

again.. without good documentation & some answers above, more time is spent wheel spinning then just setting up a PC and rooting using existing directions 1,2,3. just not worth the effort I would say. and hey, I am looking at 3 macs right now and I just decided to do it on my Intel mac - booted into XP - and it took minutes as all the documentation, steps, process are shown and outlined exactly. no guessing.

Upvote 0
but there in lies the rub. Is setting up ADB on a mac different than the directions and vid shown for a PC? Are the terminal commands the same? do you need drivers or does simply attaching the phone via USB get you access? if you need mac drivers, do they exist?

again.. without good documentation & some answers above, more time is spent wheel spinning then just setting up a PC and rooting using existing directions 1,2,3. just not worth the effort I would say. and hey, I am looking at 3 macs right now and I just decided to do it on my Intel mac - booted into XP - and it took minutes as all the documentation, steps, process are shown and outlined exactly. no guessing.

You can setup adb on a mac and a mac wouldnt require drivers much like linux wouldnt. All the adb commands would be same. The only changes would be anything pertaining to windows. Like the C:\ stuff wouldnt be there. Im not at all familiar with the mac terminal but all terminals/prompts that I have ever used are very similar so I think the commands would be close. If the files to the adb tools folder all the windows commands could be easily eliminated.

Anyway what I am saying is it shouldnt be ruled out/shot down as an impossibility. If someone really wants to figure it out and has even the slightest knowledge of the mac terminal I would be happy to help.

Upvote 0
You can setup adb on a mac and a mac wouldnt require drivers much like linux wouldnt. All the adb commands would be same. The only changes would be anything pertaining to windows. Like the C:\ stuff wouldnt be there. Im not at all familiar with the mac terminal but all terminals/prompts that I have ever used are very similar so I think the commands would be close. If the files to the adb tools folder all the windows commands could be easily eliminated.

Anyway what I am saying is it shouldnt be ruled out/shot down as an impossibility. If someone really wants to figure it out and has even the slightest knowledge of the mac terminal I would be happy to help.

This is a screenshot of the Terminal window on my Ibook. I dunno if this would help at all though. And as for figuring it out on OSX I'd love to try and figure it out, but I dont know a thing about programming or languages. But I can tear down and rebuild Small Block Chevys allll day long :D

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/chevyboy_0/Picture1-1.png

Upvote 0
This is a screenshot of the Terminal window on my Ibook. I dunno if this would help at all though. And as for figuring it out on OSX I'd love to try and figure it out, but I dont know a thing about programming or languages. But I can tear down and rebuild Small Block Chevys allll day long :D

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/chevyboy_0/Picture1-1.png

Looks like the linux terminal which is what I thought.

Android SDK | Android Developers

Download the sdk (Contains adb) there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones