Rooting Optimus S LS670ZVD

1. wunbadmofo

wunbadmofo New Member

I have a Optimus S. With SW LS670ZVD.I Want to root it but dont know much about Android yet. I attempted to root with Optimus S controll Center and The app said it was rooted, but when I Attempted to get apps that had to get superuser permission, it said that my phone needed to be rooted. Then I tried to use Gingersnap, and it started the process but then got hung up when it said : stealing the Gingers Soul " I'm not sure what all this process entails, although I am Trying to get around to doing the reading on it.

so can anybody tell me the easiest way to root this phone without knowing much about recovery kernels, and flashing roms. I am just looking to use the hotspot thing for free.

Also since I have tried to root using 2 unsuccessful apps, should I do a factory restore? And if I do will it still make calls, or will I have to get something done to it at the sprint store?

Advertisement
    :
  2. dizzle16

dizzle16 Well-Known Member

Its a real serious process. I got rooted by someone sending me a app which I only had to open, it took 30 seconds but that was only the first step. If you only want a portable hotspots I think you only need to revert back to software V9 and there's an app you can use but some, if not all custom roms cone with free tethering. I suggest you Google but rooting for me was easy, its steps 2 and 3 that (nandroid backup and flashing rom) took all day. But its worth it. Look into reverting back to V9 if you only want to tether
  3. dizzle16

dizzle16 Well-Known Member

Forgot custom recovery. Spent a good 2 hrs on that screen lol
  4. RazzMaTazz

RazzMaTazz Well-Known Member

Maximus consolidated a lot of great information in this post, but it's perhaps overwhelming for beginners (like me). So after reading a bunch of the stuff above, I'd suggest that people really only need to read the following 2-3 guides in order to understand the terminology & process or rooting and installing a custom ROM.
    1) Dishe's Idiots' Guide to Rooting and Custom Roms, Optimus S Edition, explains the rooting and flashing process and terminology in plain English. As soon as I read that, I understood the process and felt confident enough to try rooting and flashing.
    2) Contrary to its title, DrewWalton's Guide to rooting the Optimus S with software version LS670ZVD, provides detailed, step-by-step instructions for rooting, based on whether you currently have the LS670ZV9, or LS670ZVC or LS670ZVD (software) SW version on your Optimus S phone. But Drew Walton now has a much simpler "one-click" utility, called Gingersnap, for rooting, which he describes here, so you'll probably want to skip reading his other guide. Note that if you follow his Gingersnap guide, after the "Pre-use requirements, download the Gingernsap folder from the link he provides. Unzip it anywhere on your PC. Connect a freshly booted phone via USB. And then double-click the Gingersnap.exe icon in the unzipped Gingersnap folder. It will root your phone. But you'll still have to load a custom recovery (like Xonia) and a custom ROM, so...
    3) Lastly check out KSmithInNY's excellent guide containing the latest ROMs, custom recoveries, etc. I'd probably go with the Reborn ROM.

Note that the links above are to AndroidCentral.com, so you'll need to sign up for a free account there (if you don't already have one) in order to access their links.

Also note that the authors of those guides have posted (in the signatures sections of their posts) links to the procedure for returning your phone to its original, stock condition.

Following the aforementioned guides above should take away the scariness of rooting, get you Hotspot capability, improve performance, and get you some other nice features contained in the these ROMs. I hope this helps.

But in the efforts of full disclosure, I haven't rooted yet because I never accepted the ZVD firmware update, and so I still have Hotspot capability. I'll probably hold off on rooting and installing a custom ROM until Sprint releases an official version of Android 2.3 and the developers in the aforementioned guides can create a custom ROM based on Sprint's version of Android 2.3. But if I didn't have Hotspot functionality, I'd root and install the Reborn ROM right away. Good luck!
  5. jdublin

jdublin New Member

There are a couple of tools available that you can use. One of which is the "Android SDK" with GingerSnap. If you have a clear understanding using ADB commands, you should be good. Let me know if you need step-by-step instructions let me know. It will take some time for the install for the SDK and you will need to copy file in to specific directories. You will be able to run apps that access Root such as:Busybox, Superuser, CPU Tuner, Live LogCat, ROM Manager, Root Check, etc.
  6. Jessicalt1

Jessicalt1 Well-Known Member

On XDA I believe, there is the gingerbreak.apk that you can use straight from your phone. After that, I used this to do the recovery and ROM. However, I would recommend using the Xionia recovery in place of the recovery listed there. It's for the newer LCDs.
    jmo562003 and 98clru like this.
  7. wunbadmofo

wunbadmofo New Member

Ok, so I was using this method to install custom recovery.

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system
    cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
    chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
    mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak
    mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system
    flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s-1.1.0.img
    reboot recovery

I was using a terminal emulator on the phone.

Input

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system

Output

usage: mount [-r] [-w] [-o options] [-t type] device directory

Input

cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image

Output

cannot create /system/bin/flash_image: read only filesystem

Input

ls /sdcard/flash_image

Output

/sdcard/flash_image

Any idea what my problem is?
    I searched this and looked through dozens of posts without seeing an answer that worked for me.
  8. wunbadmofo

wunbadmofo New Member

BUMP!!

Not sure if it was best to bump this post, or ask the same question in multiple threads.
  9. bnitty

bnitty Well-Known Member

just bought my wife one today. what's the easiest way to root this version?