• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root rooting phone

Typical reasons for rooting:

1) Ability to install 3rd party "ROMs" (operating system images). For instance, if you want to run Gingerbread or get rid of HTC Sense, this is the way to do it.

2) Remove AT&T "bloatware".

3) Enable HSUPA to improve network speeds.

4) SIM unlock.

5) Use apps that require root privileges (like Titanium Backup).

Note that I didn't put tethering in the list because you don't need root to do it on the Inspire and its unclear how long even rooted phones will be able to get away with it.

What additional software capabilities rooting will give you depends entirely on which alternate ROM you choose to install. Before you even consider rooting, you should research the ROM options (on XDA forums) to see if any will provide the features you're looking for.

Upvote 0
I did it using the XDA information. I have installed ROMs on Windows phones so I guess that helped. And I am an IT nerd. This root is different but if you can follow directions it is quite doable. Be sure to read the posts and digest them for a couple of days. You start with the Gold card. Then go from there. This was the ultimate for me to get it done, HTC Inspire Hack Kit - xda-developers. I think I used a different link to make my goldcard but I can't remember. Good luck!

Upvote 0
Rooting the HTC Inspire is a chore. Not as easy as it was to root last year's high-end phones. But, if you follow the instructions step by step, it *is* doable. I'm no one's idea of a tech expert, but I was able to root my Inspire in about an hour, using Bubby's "One-Click" method from the XDA Forums. The most difficult part to the rooting, was waiting for the various steps in the installation process to finish - I am not a patient person!

If someone needs the URL for Bubby's one-click installation I'll be glad to post it.

-Mike

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones