rooting problem: getting errors at step 4b of wildfire-s-finally guide

1. senility base

senility base New Member

Hello there. I'm afraid I'm a bit stuck rooting the Wildfire S A510e (Marvel).

I'm following CafeKampuchia's guide: [Guide] How to root the Wildfire S with S-ON (finally!)

My bootloader is showing *** UNLOCKED ***, so now I connect via USB in charge-only mode with USB debugging enabled. I've unrared htcsupertoolv3.rar into a folder - the exe is there next to a folder called root.

I doubleclick SuperTool.exe and the menu appears. I choose (1) for zergRush and this seems to go fine, no errors.

When I choose (3) (Attempt Perm Root) it claims success with a large ROOTED. But in the background I see these errors (copied from a screenshot! they disappear so fast...)

Loading root script......
    pushing BusyBox...
    changing permissions...
    mount: permission denied (are you root?)
    /system/xbin/busybox: cannot open for write: Read-only file system
    Unable to chmod /system/xbin/busybox: No such file or directory
    Unable to chmod /system/xbin/busybox: No such file or directory
    /system/xbin/busybox: not found
    Pushing su...
    changing permissions...
    Unable to chmod /system/bin/su: No such file or directory
    Unable to chmod /system/bin/su: No such file or directory
    rm failed for /system/bin/su, Read-only file system
    link failed Read-only file system
    pushing SuperUser.apk

If I use TacoRoot instead of zergRush the errors are the same; TacoRoot doesn't seem to actually run btw, there is no screen output at least.

What should I do? Thanks for a good site - Chris

Advertisement
  2. senility base

senility base New Member

This worked for me:

I worked through the whole of the guide that was failing me, ignoring the errors: [Guide] How to root the Wildfire S with S-ON (finally!)

Then I did step 2 of an older guide: [GUIDE] How to Root the Wildfire S

(both are on this forum)

Maybe I did need to fail at the first guide, and I definitely needed the recovery image the first guide gave me after the errors, else I couldn't have done step 2 of the second guide. Note also that I installed the superuser app from google play at some point.

Hopefully someone can point out what was really going on.

Cheers - C
  3. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

Hey, I moved this to the All Things Root section. Thanks for understanding. :)