Rooting questionGeneral

Last Updated:

1. jhart15063

jhart15063 Member This Topic's Starter

If i rooted my eris would i be able to get apps2sd, livewallpapers and overclocking without a custom rom?

Advertisement
  2. cableguynoe

cableguynoe Well-Known Member

All roms are custom. Some are just closer to stock than others.
    Yes, you can get all 3 of those... but you'll have to experiment with different roms

3. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

Well, most of the ROMs that are available spring into being by having a dev start with a stock release and modifying it.

So, without any loss of generality, the answer to your question is yes. But, it does take some amount of specialized knowledge to both know what to do, and make sure that you don't mess anything up - that requires you to become a bit of a ROM dev yourself to accomplish the goals you mentioned. For instance, overclocking requires a new kernel to be put in place; that implies unpacking the boot partition, re-packaging it, and flashing it to your phone.

You will find it far easier to install someone else's ROM than it is to gain the knowledge necessary to do all those steps.

I'm not trying to discourage you if your goal is to become a dev, or learn about the underpinnings of Android - but what you are suggesting is probably 30-100x more effort than finding a ROM which meets your needs and simply utilizing that.

eu1

4. jhart15063

jhart15063 Member This Topic's Starter

so i could just install (flash?) a ROM that supports all of those things after i root my phone, and ill be good to go?

5. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

If you're rooted, yes. You'll probably change your mind about live wallpapers.. maybe not.. but probably. ;)

Here's the ROM I use..

[ROM 7/3/2010] xtrROM3.0.1 [apps2sd,jit,lwp,nav,oc]-Vanilla that embraces HTC - xda-developers

Here's a list of many popular ROMs..

Known Droid Eris Roms, Patches and Hacks - UPDATED 05-11-2010 - xda-developers

Here's the "rooting q & a".. very helpful for new to rooting people..

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/45242-rooting-q.html