Rooting question

Last Updated:

1. peterpp

peterpp Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I scanned the forums but didn't find the answer so here is my question. I upgraded the firmware of my rooted Capt. a few days ago which went smoothly, do I have to re root it? Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
  2. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Probably. Test it and see. Most apps that require root will tell you.

This should be moved to the "All things root" sub-board.

peterpp and jburbrink like this.
  3. jburbrink

jburbrink Member

Thank you sremick for not wavering on your "less is better" approach to these phones. While the Captivates are highly customizable, 1/2 of the threads are frantic newbies trying to get this or that fixed because they are over their heads. I was included with OCLF, removing bloatware, etc. and had to flash Odin back to stock to get the update. More headache than I cared for. Thanks again. Keep up your ;) battle. Incidentally, GPS rocks now.

4. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

You're welcome. :) I compare it to every soccer mom and grandma walking into an autoshop being told that they have to get a bigger turbo, NOS, a spoiler and a 4" exhaust.

I think the community does the newcomers a great disservice by giving the impression that it's "expected" that one "must" install a hacked ROM, a dirty "lagfix", a buggy beta firmware and all sorts of other hacks has "step 1" in owning this (or any) device. Unfortunately these things are being made so easy to do and install that people are just doing them without having a clue of the ramifications or what they're getting themselves into.

Easy is good. Uninformed hacking is bad.

5. peterpp

peterpp Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I still do have the app USER PERMISSION, does that mean I'm still rooted?