• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rooting Question

Rooting your device is different / separate from flashing a custom ROM.

You do typically copy the custom ROM's .zip file to the top folder of your "SD card", however, newer custom recoveries like TWRP will allow you to navigate around your file systems and select your flashable .zip from various folders.
Ooops..:p...So if you were to transfer a ROM zip files to your phone´s root directory..that wouldn´t brick your phone, right?

Upvote 0
No, not at all--they're just .zip files that just happen to contain a custom ROM.

There are special .zip files (update.zip, etc.) that the manufacturers can send-out that get put in your /cache filesystem (typically), but these are not put on in your "SD card" area(s). These are over-the-air (OTA) files and are special because they are "signed" and are the only things that can be "flashed" (installed) by your stock recovery system.

Custom ROMs cannot be signed by with the same key/signature that is used by the manufacture and is the reason why you need a custom recovery to flash them.

Upvote 0
No, not at all--they're just .zip files that just happen to contain a custom ROM.

There are special .zip files (update.zip, etc.) that the manufacturers can send-out that get put in your /cache filesystem (typically), but these are not put on in your "SD card" area(s). These are over-the-air (OTA) files and are special because they are "signed" and are the only things that can be "flashed" (installed) by your stock recovery system.

Custom ROMs cannot be signed by with the same key/signature that is used by the manufacture and is the reason why you need a custom recovery to flash them.
Ohhh I see. My friend was wrong then. We were talking about how to install Revolution HD and then he says that if you were to transfer it to the phone root directory that that would brick your phone. I wasn´t sure if that was true or not, but something didn´t quite make sense. Thanks a lot for the info! ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones