Rooting questions (apps to sd, speed, tether)

Last Updated:

1. andadroid

andadroid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

This is another "should I root" question, and I apologize in advance. I know this is basic stuff for some of you guys, but I'm on the fence and there are still some things I don't understand about rooting (I'm not a programmer, and while I've run Linux, I've never written anything for it).

So I wasn't planning to root. I have no desire to change my notification bar to black, or overly customize my OS. Plus I don't want to brick my phone. That said, at some point I will run out of RAM, and I'll want to save apps to my sd card. I also realize that within months apps may play to 1gz+ phones, and down the line I might want to OC my droid. Finally, tethering might be nice in the future.

The point is, none of these things are necessary now. However after the 2.1 update will rooting be impossible? From what I've read here root was gained by exploiting something in 2.0.1. When that is fixed is it likely root will be gained again? Or should one root now if they want root in 6 months?

Are there non-root workarounds to saving apps to sd cards? What about overclocking (I assume not). And if I do root, do I have to choose bugless beast or some other ROM, or can I just stick with what I have?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Advertisement
  2. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

I assume the root thing will be like the iPhone with jailbreaking. Google will release an update that patches it, and we'll find another exploit, they'll patch that, and so on. That being said, root is extremely easy to get right now. I did it on a whim in about an hour and I've never been happier with my device. There is no stock alternative for apps2sd and overclocking right now, but for tethering, you can use PdaNet, although it will act as a USB or Bluetooth modem and not a WiFi hotspot, which is less useful.

Also, most of our ROMs are practically just like 2.1. The new app drawer is the main thing we can't get working smoothly, if I recall correctly. There's multitouch in the browser and all kinds of other goodies we should be getting in 2.1.

If you ever want to root 2.0.1, this guide is great. You just might want to get the latest Bugless Beast release (I think we're at 7.9 now?) because that guide provides a link to 7.5, but the process is basically the same except you'll be downloading a different Nandroid backup.

If you look at that link I provided, you can just do the first step and gain root without installing a ROM. And optionally, you can then go on to install DroidRootHelper and make a Nandroid backup. That's like your failsafe; if you can boot into SPRecovery, the Nandroid backup should be able to restore most bricked phones to a working state.

Someone else might be able to provide better or more accurate insight for you; I'm pretty new at rooting and would just like to give you perspective from someone that recently took the plunge as well. That guide is fantastic though, I suggest you take a look at it.