Rooting Questions (sorry)

Last Updated:

1. iamloco724

iamloco724 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

i really do want to root either regularly or with sholesmod but i am worried plus have questions

i know alot of people will say search but its so hard to sort through all these root topics and find the exact answer in a way i understand and this is not something im willing to just jump into cause i cant brick my phone

im good with computers and all but phone things is something i haven't really experimented with thats why im nervous

first question is if i use the sholdmod to do it 1.can i use the beast rom once i root with sholes or do i have to use a shoels rom?

how do i unroot and when i unroot does it go back to the exact droid 2.01 stock that i had or does it use a milestone stock or something

in sholesmod how to i back up everything into an image

ok now say i root the default way i know how to do the rooting process for that but what once im rooted should i disable ota if so how do i do that

then what do i need to download and how do i install like ive heard nandrodi is needed where do i get this how do i install it and how do i create the backup with this

then with this where to obtain the latest beast relase and how do i install that

how do i unroot this way of rooting

anything else i should know please explain and answer these in details..i know i can probably easily do all of this im just a panicky person and what to insure i got all details and info straight first before i jump into anything like this please answer all questions

i really appreciate any help given..im sorry for such an elaborate post

Advertisement
  2. get quad

get quad Banned

3. iamloco724

oh sorry didnt realize there was a rooting sub forum now can someone please move this and delete these 2 posts

4. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

Don't apologize for your elaborate post...but I would suggest working on your punctuation and organization. It really hurt my head to read that.

So here:

1. This post is going to be moved to the rooting section. All rooting discussion goes on in there. In the future do not create root related threads in the general discussion area.

2. Sholes' SM Updater will do ALL the work for you. Rooting, installing SPRecovery, and installing their ROM. Of course, with SPRecovery installed, you can actually flash any ROM you want. It also can revert you back to stock 2.0.1 w/ no root.

3. If you were to do this all manually, it's the same procedure. Root with the update.zip file. Then immediately install SPRecovery and make a nandroid backup. This will be your failsafe image. Then, with SPRecovery, you can install any ROM.

As for where to get the ROMs, we cannot post the links. However, I do have a nice little link in my sig that might point you in the right direction!

5. SinfulDragon

SinfulDragon Well-Known Member

The SM Updater is a very easy to use tool that will create a nanodroid backup for you as it goes, also gives the ability to unroot should you so desire.
    I don't know if you can use a ROM other than theirs but the 2.0.3 does work very well and also gives the option to OC the phone.

6. iamloco724

thanks for the info..sorry i tend to ramble lol

so based of what i said and the info you gave me im leaning towards the sholesmod

will installing the sholesmod disable ota updates or i have to do something to do that

7. Fabolous

Yes, there are 2 failsafes for disabling OTA updates.

First, I believe the Sholes ROM itself does not even check for OTA updates.

Second, even if you were to get an update.zip file OTA, SPRecovery by default blocks them. You have to enable them first to use them (even when flashing ROMs).

8. iamloco724

k so if if use sholesmod and keep the sholesrom or even if use shoelsmod and go to beast it should be automatically blocked

9. iamloco724

one more question ( as of now)

when i root with sholesmod will it keep my screen layout meaning how my icons are positioned and folders i have setup.. if so will it keep it if i revert back to stock as well

10. DjSmooth

DjSmooth Well-Known Member

Yes, during the install process DON'T choose "Wipe"

11. iamloco724

how does themes work for sholesmode where and how do you choose?

12. Fabolous

If you choose to preserve data, all your apps and settings will be saved. But, if you choose to install the 2.1 launcher (don't), or the 2.0.1 launcher w/ 5 screens, your homescreen will be reset.

When you install, it will give you the option of installing the stock theme or the smoked glass theme.

13. iamloco724

So if i choose perserve data i wont get 5 screens? Why dont i wana do 2.1 launcher and 2.01 launcher will just get of how my home screen is but give me 5 screens and wont get rid of other data right?

14. Fabolous

You have three options:

1. Don't install any of the custom launchers - keep your 3 screen layout

2. Install 2.0.1 launcher w/ 5 screens - lose your 3 screen layout

3. Install 2.1 launcher - lose your layout, slow down your phone

15. iamloco724

Gotcha thanks

16. DroidSuks

DroidSuks Well-Known Member

Also considering Pete's BB. Presently stock but I understand the process for the most part... or maybe not.. ;)

Technically... if I wanted to throw caution to the wind, I could install BB Rom using the stock recovery tool... correct?. SPRecovery is really only for Nandroid imaging but installs / recovers the ROM (your archive) or a custom (BB) of choice. Correct?.

Nandroid creates a full image of the stock ROM with all your apps and settings kind of like a BESR.... whereas Backup Pro will recover the data back into a stock recovery. Correct?.

Is there a confirmation that Sholes' SM Updater will indeed allow BB ROM to flash with it's install of SPRecovery?. The reason I ask is because after reading through Matth 3w's install guild over at DroidForum and all the subsequent posts I have come to the conclusion that most of the pain and suffering that people have to deal with, regarding mistakes and error's, is derived from the linux cmd line when installing SPRecovery. Seems that SM Updater makes this part easier.

Question: Haven't heard anyone say that GPS, including NAV usage, is effected adversely with BB V0.7.5. Just want to confirm with someone who actually knows. I use the nav tool all the time.... have come to rely on it really it's worth staying stock for me if that does not work.

Thanks any and all.

17. iamloco724

im officially rooted with sholesmod and installing sholes rom now..when i do setcpu whats the recommended profile i think i would like my max to be 800 wit that said what should the rest of the profile look like

18. gnmitchell

gnmitchell Active Member

There are tons of answers on the site with peoples different setcpu profiles. I would suggest using 250/250 for sleep/standby to save your battery. I would also suggest if temp gets too hot (40.0 +) to go back to 550/250. I would also recommend selecting ondemand.

19. iamloco724

dont know if this is normal so i dont know what to do..i was up to downloading the sholes rom right at 99 percent my screen timed out i went to put the screen back on and now it just stays black..wat should i do from here?

20. iamloco724

im at the first select package to install screen and dont know what to select to get this 2. Install 2.0.1 launcher w/ 5 screens - lose your 3 screen layout