Rooting Questions

Last Updated:

1. beard6

beard6 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, I am new to this so I had some questions before I root. Sorry if they are obvious, but I can't find them by searching.

1. I currently have 1.5 on my sprint hero. In order to root 2.1, do I have to install the 2.1 update from sprint? or can I root to 2.1 from my current 1.5?

2. I once updated another hero to 2.1 and there were MANY bugs including bluetooth through my car speakers, calendar issues, and more. By rooting on 2.1, will that eliminate these bugs? I went back to 1.5 because the 2.1 was unbearable.

3. When in the rooting process, I read at xda that you make a nandroid backup. Does that automatically back up my stock rom? will it back up my 1.5 rom or just a 2.1 rom?

4. I am concerned that if I root 2.1 and it's no good, I will lose my 1.5 rom. How can I prevent that?

That's about it for now. Any help would greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. Joehunni

Joehunni Well-Known Member

Once you root you can flash roms for 1.5 or 2.1 if you like, I believe. And when you make your nandroid at the end of the rooting process, should you ever need to restore it, it will bring you back to 1.5 just like your phone is now but with root access.

3. ccapasso

ccapasso Well-Known Member

1. I currently have 1.5 on my sprint hero. In order to root 2.1, do I have to install the 2.1 update from sprint? or can I root to 2.1 from my current 1.5?

If you currently have 1.5, you can follow the guide/tutorial I have up top here to root.

2. I once updated another hero to 2.1 and there were MANY bugs including bluetooth through my car speakers, calendar issues, and more. By rooting on 2.1, will that eliminate these bugs? I went back to 1.5 because the 2.1 was unbearable.

Once you root, your phone will still be running 1.5 until you decide to flash a 2.1 ROM. Most have very little to no bugs.

3. When in the rooting process, I read at xda that you make a nandroid backup. Does that automatically back up my stock rom? will it back up my 1.5 rom or just a 2.1 rom?

There is nothing "automatic" about nandroid backups. They are like system restores in computer terms. You run the backup yourself. So for example, you root your phone which is running stock 1.5. You then make a nandroid backup before flashing a ROM. This will give you a nandroid backup of your stock 1.5, only rooted.

4. I am concerned that if I root 2.1 and it's no good, I will lose my 1.5 rom. How can I prevent that?

You can always nandroid back to your stock 1.5 backup, or you can run the 1.5 RUU if you really want.

4. beard6

I am getting adb device unrecognized. Any suggestions?

5. ronbien

ronbien Well-Known Member

Make sure Debugging is turned on:
    Menu > Settings > Applications > Development, then check USB Debugging.
    Good Luck!

6. beard6

It was and is checked

7. beard6

According to the instructions, it says to put the sdk in the C: drive, then extract recovery and asroot to the tools folder. That's all that's in there. Is that correct?

8. ccapasso

ccapasso Well-Known Member

If you did all of that, you should be ok. If your device unrecognized it is because you don't have the correct drivers installed. Try installing pdaNet (should be referenced in the tutorial). This will give you the correct drivers.