Rooting - radio update?

Last Updated:

1. Zenze

Zenze Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I was following the wiki for rooting and flashing CM6. It says in order to flash the new radio I need to have s-off set. Is this accurate? If so is the best way to just use unrevoked forever?

This is what I was following:
    Full Update Guide - HTC Incredible - CyanogenMod Wiki

Advertisement
  2. TheWhiteBandito

TheWhiteBandito Well-Known Member

Yes, in order to install the 2.15 radio, you need S-OFF which is ONLY achieved by Unrevoked Forever right now. But if you just use the 2.05 radio, you'll be just fine too.

3. Zenze

Zenze Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is there any reason to not run unrevoked forever?

4. TheWhiteBandito

TheWhiteBandito Well-Known Member

Yes, there are a few. First, forever turns off security "S-off" so that any sort of unsigned update can be flashed to your phone and bricking your phone if it's malicious. Of course, that is not likely since the devs wouldn't do that, but you still need to take a look at what you're installing. Secondly, it turns S-off and there is no way to turn it back to s-on. Theoretically Verizon/Asurion could see that you have modified your device if you need to have a replacement device.

This is why I'm staying with normal root for now, the benefits of S-Off just aren't THAT big in my opinion. I'm already on a 2.xx radio, and I don't need apps like Metamorph right now.