Rooting rogers htc phones?

1. 4runnerguy

4runnerguy Active Member

I think its about time to start a thread on how to root Dream and Magic.
    i found a couple threads on this subject but they are a mess and hard to understand.
    Has any one rooted there phones?

Advertisement
  2. itsolution42

itsolution42 New Member

3. spyke555

spyke555 Active Member

Here are the instructions I followed:

Full Update Guide - Rogers Dream EBI1 to CyanogenMod - CyanogenMod Wiki

Specific to our Rogers phones and maintains the Rogers radio as well... As long as you don't need Exchange contact and calandard sync then you are good to go... Mind you there is a free contact sync app in the market already, so really only the calandar was an issue.

Since I use my phone for buisness and we have an exchange server I actually reverted back. It's really simple to do that with either a nandroid backup created before you update:

XDADeveloperWiki - HTC_Sapphire_Hacking_2

Or even simpler just install the 1.5 update from Rogers web site:

http://downloads.rogers.com/wireless/products/htc/magic/magic_software_update_final.pdf
    http://downloads.rogers.com/wireles...rs_WWE_2.17.631.2_release_signed_NoDriver.exe

Just need to read the instructions and follow allong...
  4. surfer09

surfer09 Member

i was going to try the unlockr link as well. did you find you had any issues with the phone afterwards? were all the apps working after you installed the new ROM? i've read some people have had camera issues.
  5. TriC

TriC Well-Known Member

I used the The Unlockr to unlock my phone and install the "Amon Ra’s Clean Donut (Magic, 32A)" Rom.. works great.. the Navagation with good maps is amazing.. there now is a hack to get it to work outside the USA.. This rom is the best one I have tryed.. way faster then the rogers rom.. you can even use this method if you have done the upgraded firmware from rogers as well..

Also everything works with the "Amon Ra’s Clean Donut (Magic, 32A)" ROM Camera you name it and its Android 1.6..
  6. Klenya

Klenya Well-Known Member

7. spyke555

spyke555 Active Member

Sure does... Step 1 is replacing that pesky SPL ;-)
  8. Klenya

Klenya Well-Known Member

10x :p
  9. vikingisson

vikingisson Well-Known Member

works for me. Don't worry Rogers, it isn't doing anything I'm not paying you for (except getting updates).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. surfer09

surfer09 Member

11. spyke555

spyke555 Active Member

So far I've tried CyanogenMod only and anthough the speed increase was quite noticable, the lack of Exchange support had me revert to the stock 1.5 ROM at this time.

I've been thinking of actually going to a 2.0 ROM even though it lacks camera support (yup, I need Exchange that bad!) ;-)

So anyone find a 1.6 ROM that's got full Exchange support yet? (Not just Work Email)

And anyone installed a 2.0 image on a Rogers Dream yet? Means changing the radio if I understand correctly and that part's got me a little nervous...

Vikingisson, what ROM is that?
  12. vikingisson

Whats wrong with work email?
  13. Klenya

Klenya Well-Known Member

You mean Exchange mail worked for you?
  14. vikingisson

yes, I can't tell any difference other than I couldn't find the app until I noticed Work Email. Same settings as before. I don't need this app as much as some people and I only have it sync once per hour but it does exactly the right thing.
  15. Klenya

Klenya Well-Known Member

@spyke555 Did you consider RoadSync ? It has 14 days trial and maybe then paid applications will be already available in Canada :)
    Cost $10.
  16. TriC

TriC Well-Known Member

ya just Follow the videos and thats about it its very easy..
  17. spyke555

spyke555 Active Member

Work email is fine. Just does not do contacts and calendar.

Road sync is ok. Got that working also. Just can't buy today...

In all cases this uses a seperate mail client which is not ideal but functional. Guess I've been spoiled by the Rogers Rom...
  18. vikingisson

I think it is the proprietary HTC email client that you miss that Rogers bought with the (slightly) modified ROM. It is the same client that all of the provider ROMs get and independent 3rd party ROMs are not allowed to distribute. Personally I think we should be allowed to download it from HTC at minimum since we originally paid for it on the same phone. They could ask for the serial number perhaps which then lets them know we have the right phone. Won't happen and is part of the problem with our phones and providers. Decent compromise given the stupid legal fiasco we face in Kanada. Oh well, I'd rather have 1.6 and a slightly less than ideal but usable (cough) exchange (cough) client.
    Lesson for me is that I'll never again buy a locked phone from any provider. Pay the bucks for the open phone. But rooted and ROM'd will suffice for now.
  19. surfer09

surfer09 Member

Thanks again. I did the root and Amon Ra
  20. yycken

yycken Well-Known Member

just followed the above instructions and am now on 1.6

there were a few sphincter tightening moments, a couple of unexpected restarts but it works great.....faster then the rogers 1.5 load and I do like enhancement

a couple of things noticed that weren't mentioned (or I didn't see mentioned)
    -shows up as a T-Mobile image which I don't think is a big deal other then it does include some apps (like the music store) that are IMO useless
    -if you try to clear the browser history it crashes

that said, I had no problems with it synching to my google account (I don't use exchange so thats not an issue) and running all the apps I previously installed

so...I've got my 1.6, no thanks to rogers or HTC
  21. yycken

yycken Well-Known Member

A question for the smart folks....

Once the cyanogen upgrade has been complete can I delete the three *.zip files that were copied to the sd card or are they still required?
  22. GreatBigDog

GreatBigDog Well-Known Member

Yep, go ahead and delete them. Now that you have Cyanogen on your phone don't forget to perform a nandroid backup before you go to do any updates to it.

What version of cyanogen did you install?

gbd
  23. yycken

yycken Well-Known Member

THX!

v4.2.11.1 was the currently published stable ROM when I made the change....see there's been a few up issues since then
  24. yycken

yycken Well-Known Member

A couple comments re the cyogenmod 4.2.13

1) In the upgrade/release notes they state that the Enoch theme is compatible. It doesn't cause the phone to crash but for some reason it does force it to stay in 2G mode.

2) 4.2.13 seems to have messed with the APN settings which had a serious detriment to the speed (even in 3G), not a big deal just reset your APN to:
    Name: Rogers
    APN: rogers-core-appl1.apn
    MMSC: http://mms.gprs.rogers.com (http://mms.gprs.rogers.com/)
    MMS Proxy: 10.128.1.69
    MMS Port: 80 ​
  25. mjschmidt

mjschmidt Well-Known Member

You can use APN Backup to backup the APN info to your SD card if you don't feel like typing in manually (as opposed to typing it in telekinetically I suppose).

Obviously you will have to reinstall APN BAckup to get them back. Of course maybe y'all should use something like Astro File Manager to back up your apps to SD card as well.

I wish they would make My Backup free!

APN Backup: APN Backup & Restore v1.3 Application for Android | Tools

Astro File Manager: ASTRO File Manager v2.2.2 Application for Android | Productivity