• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rooting rogers htc phones?

Hi,

I'm new to the whole rooting thing..I've ordered my magic through the upgrade program rogers have going on right now. I want to know what happens if something goes wrong. If anyones checked the comments for the video regarding the rooting process (the first vid in post #2) it says some people with rogers magic's encountered some problems. Does that mean that their phones are completely bricked or is there some sort of recovery feature? Also, will i still be able to recieve OTT updates from rogers if I decide to root and use a different ROM?

Also there are only 3 different ROM's on that site..Ive been hearing a lot about cynogen (?) rom's is it that much better than the hero rom offered on the website?

Thanks for the help

Upvote 0
Hi,

I'm new to the whole rooting thing..I've ordered my magic through the upgrade program rogers have going on right now. I want to know what happens if something goes wrong. If anyones checked the comments for the video regarding the rooting process (the first vid in post #2) it says some people with rogers magic's encountered some problems. Does that mean that their phones are completely bricked or is there some sort of recovery feature? Also, will i still be able to recieve OTT updates from rogers if I decide to root and use a different ROM?

Also there are only 3 different ROM's on that site..Ive been hearing a lot about cynogen (?) rom's is it that much better than the hero rom offered on the website?

Thanks for the help

Rooting is not for the faint of heart. There is a definite chance that you can brick your phone. Why is it that you want to root your new magic in the first place? Is there something that you want to do with your Magic that you can't do with the stock ROM?

If you wait a couple of weeks HTC will be providing an update to the Magic that will include HTC sense, which is the same user interface (UI) that the Hero has.

Most of the root ROM's are running 1.6 or 2.0 but if you wait HTC will be providing 2.1 with the HTC Sense UI by mid year.

CyanogenMod is nice, it's based on Android 1.6 but has 5 home screens instead of 3 and has some of the 2.0 stuff backported onto it. When we get HTC sense, I believe that it has 7 home screens and again the Magic will be getting 2.1 soon.

With the Dream, root is good to have because of the limited memory space. You can run Apps2SD which moves your applications over to the SD card. The magic has much more internal memory and can hold much more applications without having to do this (apps2SD will reduce the life of your SD card)

One big advantage of rooting is the ability to install market enabler which allows you to spoof your origin to the Android Market. With this program you can get access to paid apps in the Android Market.

Rogers does not provide OTA upgrades to it's customers. Only google branded devices receive OTA upgrades. The Rogers Magic and Dream are HTC branded. When an update is available for ours it will be posted on HTC and Rogers web sites.

Rooting voids your warranty (even for non software issues)

So are you really sure you wan't to Root that shiny new Magic?

gbd

Upvote 0
A couple comments re the cyogenmod 4.2.13

1) In the upgrade/release notes they state that the Enoch theme is compatible. It doesn't cause the phone to crash but for some reason it does force it to stay in 2G mode.
interesting. I'm on 4.2.13 and my APN is exactly as you show so mine didn't go away or change to something else. But I really appreciate your note in case others have the same issue as you. And as they tell anyone asking about the best version of Cyan: "latest is the greatest". works for me and is nice to have USB tethering builtin, works without anything installed on the PC or phone. Just activate and plug in the cable.
:)

and a reminder to you lucky (former) Dream owners, I'm looking for a wayward Dream to try some devel on. free or cheap.

Upvote 0
After waiting for a week or so to see what will happen to the Rogers Sense UI update, I decided that it wasn't for me. It seems that the interface is more of a "toy" than actually useful.
So, given that, I decided to root my Rogers Magic and use Amon Ra's 1.6 donut Rom. My plan was to use the Unlockr's method. It looked simple enough. However, the flashrec.apk failed to backup. The Unlockr stated that it may be because I have a custom recovery image. However, I doubt so, given that I have SPL 1.33.009 and Radio 3.22.20.17. I don't think it is a perfected SPL.
Given that the unlockr had no other solution, I decided to use the Relentless Rooter Method, as posted in XDA. It requires saving files to the computer and using the USB cable to attach to the phone. I followed the instructions and this time it worked.
So, if the unlockr method fails, do try using the Relenless Root method.
So far, I like 1.6 donut. Nothing fancy and seems to be stable. Amon RA added a patch to allow multi-touch.
Ah, do budget about 3 hours for everything to be done.

Upvote 0
THX visitador02. Nice to know that there are options available!

Now the obvious question. Do you still have data? If so did you need to call in for a refresh?

Actually, I am not in Canada, so the Rogers data blackout did not apply to me. I was just waiting to update to the Sense UI, after hearing how great it is. Now, after reading the reviews, I found it is better to use Donut 1.6.

Oh, btw, now the phone start up with Rogers screen followed by T-mobile. lol!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones