Rooting rogers magic questions/problems

Last Updated:

1. samuelmaskell

samuelmaskell Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,
    I'm considering rooting my magic and there are a few things I'd like to ask first.

Model number: HTC Magic
    Firmware version: 1.5
    Baseband version: 62.525.20.18U_3.22.20.17
    Kernel version: 2.6.27-dd62d1eb u70000@Android-X01 )
    Build number: 2.16.61.6 146733 CL#33776 release-keys

I have a Rogers non-google branded phone with 288mb ram(version 32a)
    In a cmd prompt when I typed adb devices it said
    "list of devices attached
    HT95MNK00979 device"

so anyway.. my first question is, if I screw up, what happens? How likely is it that I will be able to fix it? I have a 2 year warranty so can I sent it in to rogers and have them reflash the original rom?

I was thinking of using this guide. HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - The Offical "How do I do techie stuff" Thread
    it seems pretty easy to follow but I was wondering if there are any better/easier/more up to date walkthroughs out there for the rogers magic. any one have one they thing is better?

does it sound like I have everything set up right judging by what came up when I typed adb devices?

it says, "grab fastboot.exe from here (HTC - Support - Flashing your Android Dev Phone with a Factory System Image) and place it in the tools directory of the sdk." There is already a fastbook.exe in the tools directory of my sdk. Should I replace it? I may have put it in there a while ago when I first installed the sdk but I don't think I did..

it says, " [optional]. make a backup with nandroid". How exactly do I do this? I've screen shots of the device where it says something about a nandroid backup. will the option to make a backup just show up on my screen? can I just move it from my sd card to my computer after that?

do I do all of this with the device in fastboot? It doesn't really say in the walkthrough..

at what point can I not return?

what rom will I end up with at the end? just the original rogers rom except with root access?

Thanks so much for your help,
    Samuel Maskell

Advertisement
  2. samuelmaskell

Do I need to format my sd card before doing any of this?

3. samuelmaskell

is there any reason I couldn't do what the guy does in this video?
    YouTube - How To Root your HTC Magic (www.TheUnlockr.com)

the only command he ever types is fastboot boot daldroid-recovery.img
    in the first tutorial I posted a link to, he says to type a few different commands
    why would this be?

any idea what phone that guy is using? it's not the rogers one but it is still 32A. Ion I guess? this procedure should still work with the rogers version, right?

4. samuelmaskell

I figured out what the difference is..
    "17. Once the phone reboots, you have root and are running a custom ROM already (I choose the most stable for you)!"

what if I don't want this rom? is it best to do it the way the guy does it in the first tutorial I posted a link to?

5. xiutian

xiutian Active Member

6. xiutian

xiutian Active Member

I have a Rogers non-google branded phone with 288mb ram(version 32a)
    In a cmd prompt when I typed adb devices it said
    "list of devices attached
    HT95MNK00979 device"

so anyway.. my first question is, if I screw up, what happens? How likely is it that I will be able to fix it? I have a 2 year warranty so can I sent it in to rogers and have them reflash the original rom?

I've screwed it up a couple of times. As long as you can boot into recovery and fastboot, you can just go through the whole process again and restore your backup.

I was thinking of using this guide. HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - The Offical "How do I do techie stuff" Thread
    it seems pretty easy to follow but I was wondering if there are any better/easier/more up to date walkthroughs out there for the rogers magic. any one have one they thing is better?

Posted the link to the guide that I used in the above post.

does it sound like I have everything set up right judging by what came up when I typed adb devices?

Yup

it says, "grab fastboot.exe from here (HTC - Support - Flashing your Android Dev Phone with a Factory System Image) and place it in the tools directory of the sdk." There is already a fastbook.exe in the tools directory of my sdk. Should I replace it? I may have put it in there a while ago when I first installed the sdk but I don't think I did..

If you've got fastboot in there already, there's no need to replace it.

it says, " [optional]. make a backup with nandroid". How exactly do I do this? I've screen shots of the device where it says something about a nandroid backup. will the option to make a backup just show up on my screen? can I just move it from my sd card to my computer after that?

Once you've booted into the recovery, you'll be able to do a nandroid backup from there. It will be in the list of options. It will perform a backup which is saved on your sd card. You don't have to move it to the computer but I'm paranoid and actually backed up the backups on my PC.

do I do all of this with the device in fastboot? It doesn't really say in the walkthrough..

You go into the fastboot only to be able to boot your phone into the recovery mode.

at what point can I not return?

When you click to apply the update.

what rom will I end up with at the end? just the original rogers rom except with root access?

Depends on which ROM you choose to flash to

Thanks so much for your help,
    Samuel Maskell

7. samuelmaskell

this has been very helpful. thank you. however, I still have some questions.

my sd card is already formatted to fat32. do I need to format it again or can I just leave it the way it is?

some tutorials talk about wiping it first. do I need to do this?

how do I know if I need to update the radio?

in the link you posted, it is a different method again. why are they all different?

Thanks again,
    Samuel Maskell

8. xiutian

xiutian Active Member

No you won't need to format again, unless you intend to make 2 partitions (sorry can't help you with that, I'm struggling with that myself)

Yes you should wipe. Remember to do your nandroid backup first.

You don't need to in most cases but I did mine cos I wanted to try pushing some unsigned files into the phone.

I don't think they are actually very different, probably worded differently?

9. Tiago Lopes

Tiago Lopes Member

Hi people, i am a new member here, i have a HTC MAGIC a 4 days and i like this machine.
    I

10. samuelmaskell

I have no idea what you are asking..
    I'm not sorry. I don't mean to be rude or anything. I just can't understand what you are saying.

11. noonehereyet

noonehereyet No One... VIP Member

12. samuelmaskell

1. why do I need a new radio?
    2. does it matter what recovery.img I use? I can't use the one he has there because I have a magic, not a dream
    3. what do I do with the spl?
    4. I can't "alt+s". I don't have a keyboard
    5. "power off, hold camera button, power on, press the back arrow to get into "fastboot" mode". I don't have a camera button or a back arrow.
    6. Why is this completely different from anything I've ever seen?

13. noonehereyet

noonehereyet No One... VIP Member

1) its important to have the latest radio to avoid bricking the phone

2) Yes it matters what .img you use as they are not the same they differ slightly for every model phone...

3) The SPL aka Bootloader is used for intalling and running modded/ported builds and you need to flash it as the instructions say...

4) this is why you need the SPECIFIC recovery.img!

5) yes you do have a back arrow/return button its the one with the little arrow pointing to the left....

6) its completely different then what youve seen because again not everyphone or model is made the same and hence can not be rooted the same...

14. xiutian

xiutian Active Member

The link posted by noonehereyet is something totally new, it basically turns our 32a phone into a 32b.

15. xiutian

xiutian Active Member

From the reactions here I think it's best if we 32a owners don't try this new mod.

16. samuelmaskell

yeah, definitely not doing that. Thanks for the heads up.

Noonehereyet, please don't post things you haven't tried yourself. I can find tutorials myself. I'm not an idiot. I came here because I wanted some first hand advice.

17. samuelmaskell

so I tried both of those methods and neither worked at all
    when I clicked apply sdcard: update.zip it came up with something like this both times

"-- Install from sdcard...
    Finding update package
    E: Can't mout /dev/blcok/mmcblk0p1 (or /dev.blcok/mmcblk0)
    (No such file or directory)
    E: Can't mount SDCARD: update.zip
    Installation aborted"

any idea why this would happen? I haven't the slightest clue.
    any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks,
    Samuel Maskell

18. xiutian

xiutian Active Member

It takes some time for the sd card to mount, so wait for a minute or so to allow it to mount.

19. samuelmaskell

Wait when?

20. xiutian

xiutian Active Member

When the phone first boots up into recovery mode, wait a bit before clicking apply. Or else, you can actually just keep clicking until it sticks

21. samuelmaskell

tried it again
    this time it said this.

"E: Can't open /sdcard/update.zip (bad)
    Installation aborted."

frig..

22. samuelmaskell

Alright, I did it the Howardforums way. Worked like a charm.

Now the question is.. what now?
    Are there any fully functional hero roms for the 32a magic?
    Apps2sd is something I'll want I guess. Market babbler too. Anything else?

23. xiutian

xiutian Active Member

No there isn't, all have BT issues. Apps2SD isn't really needed, plus I can't get it to work :p

If you are in a region where you don't get paid apps in the market, then you'll need Market Enabler.

With that you can get Bluex and Screenshot.

24. Lobo

Lobo Well-Known Member

so one of your original questions in this thread was(and i dont see answer to it) is the video shown by Unlockr.com going to work.. it looks straight forward.. so will it?

25. samuelmaskell

I tried it and it didn't seem to work. The Howard forums way worked just fine though. I'm now running a hero Rom =]