• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ROOTING, ROM's, OVERCLOCKING, and ANYTHING RELATED!!

does anyone know if sholes,info map update actually works, i ran the update and when i tried to use google maps to get home from dropping someone off, it kept fc'ing on me, and two, which do you think is better, bugless beauty, sholes 2.0.2 or bugless beast, i wanna pick a rom that functions, and one that looks good, so far bugless beauty did the trick, but i dont know if the maps worked, i didnt try,

if i want my bugless beauty back again,do i just run the update.zip bb rom and go on about my bizness...time for a beer, and yes i know, but its 5pm somewhere!!

Upvote 0
Finally rooted! and yes I cheated, I used the sholes app. There are so many things about it that is much better. One of the things I would really like though, is to be able to have the option to load my apps from the market to my SD card if I want. I know people are doing it, can someone point me in the right direction?

Upvote 0
Hello everybody!
I installed BBeast via nandroid. Did sprecovery, nandroid back up and I also backed up my Apps through androzip.
Question(s) is:

Do I have to reinstall all my apps from the backup folder in astro one at a time and recustomize for example handsent everytime i update? Or is there an easier way.

Also both my keyboards lag BUT not in messaging just when in browser text fields.

Browsing is great but I notice:

it doesn't resize like the stock one(page fitting display), No page scroll indicating bar..and

When I'm swiping across or zooming in a page seems like the words or resolution thins a bit until I stop. Then it refocused. Happens fast and doesn't bother me much just want to know if its normal.

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
I gave Motorola a call this morning, of course they didn't have any info about 2.1. They did however inform me that, the only things there warranty doesn't cover is physical damage or water damage. I asked them directly about rooting a Droid, the guy I was speaking with assured me that if any thing went wrong with any Droid owners phone, that wasn't physical or water damage Motorola would up hold there warranty. For faster replacement he said, should something go wrong during the rooting process to contact my local Verizon dealer. He didn't say Verizon store.... thus implementing a dealer might be easier to get a phone swap vs a Verizon store where they might be more inclined to test the phone and fail to swap phones for you. I then called my local Verizon dealer and asked them if rooting my phone would void my warranty, of course I was told any changes I made to alter my phones software would yes void my warranty. No real surprise there, however she did say that the insurance I pay would get me a new Droid for $50. Over all I see if someone messes up and bricks there phone they have options, to get a replacement Droid. I hope this helps ease the headaches some of you have gained tossing the thought of to root or not. Now don't think I am telling you just go and root your phone you will be fine, no I am saying if something goes terribly wrong you do have options, that does not mean everyone should try to root there droids. If you are really hung up on the thought of rooting it might be best if you don't do it.

Upvote 0
I was a skittish root noob recently, and decided to take the plunge..I have only slight regret in doing so since I honestly don't know what I'm doing with my phone now that it's rooted...But I am running BBeast and a setcpu app..I noticed my battery life was draining quickly at first, until I set a profile on the set cpu app to lower the processor while the phone was in sleep mode or whatever, which has greatly increased my battery life...All in all I'm happy with the result of the root..It's just gonna take some time to get comfortable with the power I now possess..

Upvote 0
since I installed beast and setcpu 2 days ago my phone has always seemed cooler to touch, the battery is at 60% since unplugged 32 hrs ago, I've been on the phone for at least 2 hrs and 30+ emails and 20+ texts.
I have setcpu set to 800mhz max and 125mhz min.
before this it was always getting marginal by the end of one day at work, at the very best after 8 hours it was at 40% battery.

Upvote 0
I just installed Bugless Beast today and i have to say i love it. I find my phone runs way smooth, and find the icons look better. I was kinda scared to root my phone because i was afraid i would mess my phone up. Rooting was easy, i ran into some problems trying to install beast because the custom recovery screen some how got overwritten when i rebooted. But i fixed that and i loaded the ROM, and it works great. Just need to get SetCPU so i can overclock.

Upvote 0
I thought about starting a new thread about this, but didn't want to get flamed for starting yet another thread on the subject.

This question is for the experts.. Which of these is better performance and stability-wise? I started with the sholes all-in-one app, rooted, installed Bitchin' Baegel, SetCPU.. then after reading all the fanfare about "Beast".. I installed that- which of course kept the Sholes apps also- so I have a cross between the two.

My only observation is that animations seemed smoother(even at 800MHZ and above) on the Sholes Rom, the cap on the OC,...and of course a slightly darker theme with Beast. Both are blazing fast compared to stock..

I'd really like some expert opinions on this though, rather than my uneducated observations:( Is there any stability and performance advantage one has over the other? Or is it just a matter of preference...

Upvote 0
I thought about starting a new thread about this, but didn't want to get flamed for starting yet another thread on the subject.

This question is for the experts.. Which of these is better performance and stability-wise? I started with the sholes all-in-one app, rooted, installed Bitchin' Baegel, SetCPU.. then after reading all the fanfare about "Beast".. I installed that- which of course kept the Sholes apps also- so I have a cross between the two.

My only observation is that animations seemed smoother(even at 800MHZ and above) on the Sholes Rom, the cap on the OC,...and of course a slightly darker theme with Beast. Both are blazing fast compared to stock..

I'd really like some expert opinions on this though, rather than my uneducated observations:( Is there any stability and performance advantage one has over the other? Or is it just a matter of preference...

I think it's a mileage may vary situation. I've been running beast for a while and switched to sholes today, and then back again because I had a few issues in sholes that I didn't have in beast and otherwise didn't notice a huge difference in performance. It's pretty easy to switch and my guess is that the relative benefits will change from update to update (i.e., daily.) :D

Upvote 0
I think it's a mileage may vary situation. I've been running beast for a while and switched to sholes today, and then back again because I had a few issues in sholes that I didn't have in beast and otherwise didn't notice a huge difference in performance. It's pretty easy to switch and my guess is that the relative benefits will change from update to update (i.e., daily.) :D

how exactly do you easily switch between the two? completly new and running sholes right now, but wouldnt mind trying beauty or beast

Upvote 0
how exactly do you easily switch between the two? completly new and running sholes right now, but wouldnt mind trying beauty or beast

The bugless roms come as an update.zip. Just google search either one, and you'll find the threads over at AllDroid. The download link is in the first post of each. Put the update.zip in the root(main) folder of the SD(delete/replace the on that's in there), boot into recovery, select install-then select install update.zip- enjoy!

To switch back to Sholes if you want, just rerun the Sholes app.

BTW- neither rom REQUIRES you to wipe data..

Upvote 0

What issues did you have with the Sholes rom, and was it 2.0.2 or 2.0.3? This is the kind of info I am hoping to learn:)

Upvote 0
The bugless roms come as an update.zip. Just google search either one, and you'll find the threads over at AllDroid. The download link is in the first post of each. Put the update.zip in the root(main) folder of the SD(delete/replace the on that's in there), boot into recovery, select install-then select install update.zip- enjoy!

To switch back to Sholes if you want, just rerun the Sholes app.

BTW- neither rom REQUIRES you to wipe data..

Thanks!!!:cool:

Upvote 0
My stock Droid does more than enough and has the ability to keep me occupied for hours and hours (if I let it). That being said, I really don't have much of a desire to root.

But having 3 homescreens really blows and who the hell knows when the official 2.1 OTA is coming.

If OC'ing improves the stability of home replacements (I use Home++), I'd definitely give rooting some serious consideration. Home++ is awesome, but it FC's more than I'd like and it has problems with widgets every now and again.

So, what's the deal? Does OC'ing help?

Upvote 0
You can DL the 2.1 launcher, as well as the 2.1 gallery, music player, and the news and weather widget, all for non-root users. Droidforums.net had them, just do a search (I'd give you a direct link if I had one).

I found that 2.1 launcher to be very laggy and I wasn't crazy about it. I've been using Home++ for a while now, and I've grown too accustomed to the hidden notification bar, continuous scrolling, and the powerstrip to give them up for a laggy home launcher. What I did like was the 3D app drawer. If only there was a way to add just that.

Upvote 0
Are you running a lot of widgets? Do you have 7 homescreens? If the answer to both of these questions is "yes" and you haven't had ANY FC's, rooting/OC'ing is looking very attractive.

Sorry for all the questions but I really appreciate your input:eek:

No, I don't have many widgets running (I used to but it drained my battery) and I have 5 homescreens right now. However, I did have the same settings as before I rooted... only difference is now it's faster, smoother, and no FC's (so far). :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones