• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] Rooting S3 International 3G

Just downloaded SuperSu to phone- but 4 different versions;
SuperSu v1.68, v--, v1,86, v1.93. Which one ???

Phone just put this on screen
SuperSu
There is no binary installed and SuperSu cannot install it. If you just upgraded to Android 4.3, you need to manually re-root :thinking::thinking::thinking:

I got the downloads from Rom Installer.
Tried to move downloaded Pacman rom to SD external card via downloads file- no go. Nothing I try is working, or umpteen versions of files, with no clue as to instructions to use this or that one. Is this lot worth all the hassle??

Upvote 0
A lot of the postings about flashing roms are between one and two years old now- that instills little confidence.

That's probably because the info is still valid. If it was redundant, or no longer relavant, it would have been updated.
Just follow the instructions, and all should be well. I say 'should', 'cos nothing is guaranteed :D. Best to read, re-read, and then, read again. Seems to me like you've looked at too many different methods and opinions, and have got swamped with too much information. Don't worry, I've done the same, in fact, I still do at times, which is why I can recognise the symptoms:p.
Slow down, take it easy, and all will become clear.
Stick with the flashing info on one forum, (this one) and familiarise yourself with the procedure, and you should be good to go.
If not, just ask.
Dave

Reactions: gregg1100
Upvote 0
Got towelroot on S3 ready.
Got supersu on phone ready, BUT
it shows this on phone screen:
SuperSu
There is no binary installed and SuperSu cannot install it. If you just upgraded to Android 4.3, you need to manually re-root. What is this about, please??

Which app(?) is easiest for Nandroid backup ?? Titanium, Clockworkmod ??

I have made a GS3 folder in pc desktop
Got Android Revolution HD for a rom in GS3 folder

Slowly getting stuff together

Upvote 0
Just tried to download Titanium backup*root from playstore----came up with " couldn't download Titanium- error 941.
Every time I try to download stuff to phone, it always comes back with errors, or can't download for other reasons. THIS is why I am so wary about all this rooting/rom
:thinking::thinking:
Nothing is easy doing this stuff. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Upvote 0
Getting fed up with all this rooting stuff now- and the useless slow bit of plastic some people loosely call a smartphone.
I had towel root on the phone till I tried it out and app came back with NOT for the model of phone I have;
2012 Samsung galaxy S3 International 3G. (that is 3G only). GT19300

I was going to try towel root again, but now can't get that version from playstore
When I download SuperSu to phone, it comes up with "no binary figures" (?) attached.
When I try to download Titanium Backup to phone, it comes up with errors.
What the hell is going on with this phone ?????

Wi fi is useless now as well---I have Virginmedia in the house which according to SPEEDTEST, is kicking out 55-61 mbps. Yet phone says connection is disabled because internet connexion is slow ????

All I want is for this phone to keep up with an old Sony Ericsson K810 :eek::D

I am just going to factory reset for the 4th time this month, and it is only the 19th day. Hacked off is a total understatement.

Upvote 0
Just tried towel root again- still says my s3 is not supported.
I have been looking for a youtube video which describes rooting an O2 branded, but unlocked S3 galaxy international 3G GT19300 on 4.3. I don't want to go Kingo route, and find the xda root method too easy for me to make a cock up with.

I am determined to get this thing sorted. I have till mid October to do it, cos that is when the Note 4 comes out here. I will buy that then and put this S3 under the back wheels of my mates loaded 44 ton truck- I wouldn't want to sell this to anyone.

I can see lots of vids about S3 phones getting rooted, but nearly all are on American networks, nothing about Brit ones, especially o2. According to what I have read, you are supposed to get the correct instruction set for the phone you want to root/flash
Thanks

Upvote 0
Just used Kingo- got root straight away- it put in SuperSu, which got updated.
Backing it all up with Titanium Backup at the mo- taking a bit of time---is that normal. I tapped `Backup all system data and user apps`---is that right ???

Is there any more to do before I find a rom to put on the phone ??

One thing I didn't see, is where backup is being installed- hope it was the external sd card. Can I transfer that to pc after ??
Thanks

Upvote 0
One thing I didn't see, is where backup was being installed- hope it was the external sd card. Can I transfer that to pc after ??
Thanks

Titanium backup went on phone memory- I made new folder on pc and copied it to there. I will put it on my external hard drive later.

How often should I do a backup ??

Should I delete backup files from phone memory and put it on SD card ??

Is a Titanium Backup the same as a Nandroid backup ?? Or do I need to do that as well ?

I won't start knocking stuff off phone till I find out answers to questions above cos I have to find out what to junk and what to keep.

Upvote 0
Titanium only backs up apps and data. A nandroid backup is made with a custom recovery and includes your system image, boot image and data.

You can change where titanium stores backups in its settings. If you want them on external you have to change it in settings because it will look for them in the specified location when restoring them. Restoring backed up system apps never seems to work so I never bother, only user apps and data.

Upvote 0
Congratulations on gettin rooted mate. Did it give u a custom recovery? (Like clockworkmod? Thats what youll need to make a nandroid and flash a rom)
With titanium, we dont generally backup system apps if were goin to flash a rom but its cool, just dont restore system apps once u flash one. Keep the backup u have :thumbup:
Its cool to have the backup on internal memory because when u flash a rom, wiping data (factory reset) in a custom recovery (like clockworkmod) wont touch it anyway but its always good to have a backup of your backup.
Let us know if kingo gave u a custom recovery mate :thumbup:

Upvote 0
Hi Funky,
No it didn't give a custom recovery- just SuperSu. That's why I stopped messing about till I got a clue as to what I was doing next.

H'mmm- more reading. What's the best way to do a nandroid??

Kingo was like an express train- did the job straight off- couldn't believe it, especially after all the weeks of worrying if I was going to naff up on first hurdle.
Having said that, still more hurdles to jump, lol.
Got to find Clockworkmod now then- what number would that be, please?? 11 ??Thanks for the patience you have all shown. :)

Upvote 0
Steer clear of ROM Manager not good for S3 (not to be confused with ROM Toolbox). If you have root but no custom recovery yet, you can download Flashify from the Play Store to flash a recovery. It gives you a choice of Clockworkmod, TWRP, or Philz. Personally I use and would recommend Philz but others are also fine. You can also use Mobile Odin to flash a recovery - there's a free version on xda but you also need to download a flash kernel from one of the posts lower down. As soon as you have recovery installed, boot into it a do a full nandroid backup before doing anything like freezing/uninstalling any bloatware or system apps.

Upvote 0
Err- perhaps I won't, lol. Just checked where your approximate area is-- a long walk from Dunoon, and a feet wet job , lol.
Is a nandroid back up done in a few seconds--all the youtube vids showing Flashify and Twerp are done in short order. ??? I did a Titanium Backup which took ages.

Flashify will just install a custom recovery for you, such as twrp (not twerp). A nandroid backup is a backup of your entire phone, titanium just backs up apps. Very different things. In titanium all you need to backup is user apps, not system data. Just some tips

Upvote 0
Whilst looking for a rom to flash into my phone, I have just come across (on xda site) a to do list before the actual flashing of new rom.
It said ;
Back up EFS file+ nandroid backup+ Titanium backup.

What is an EFS file, and why haven't I heard of this in all the posts here, and all the videos I have watched on youtube, please???

I want to put Omnirom V5 on the S3, with kitkat 4.4. I like the look of it.

Phone is out of contract, so no worries about tripping knox, or is there?

Also, why is it that a download seen on youtube that shows a file or process being described is never the same shown on my phone.
That why I have been so hesitant about all this business.

I did a Titanium backup , but I think I backed up more than needed. I think I did Apps and data files-- should I remove that from phone now, and use TB after nandroid backup and just back up apps with TB.

On the Omnirom rom, it loads GApps. A lot of the google stuff I don't use, so can I wipe them off after the rom is flashed. ??

Finally(for this post), I have found an app called Uninstall- (a red icon with open dustbin). It tell you which apps are safe to get shot of, and what to keep. Any good, or best not to use.??
Thanks,
Greg.
Ps- got TWRP Manager and Flashify on the phone too.

Upvote 0
Whilst looking for a rom to flash into my phone, I have just come across (on xda site) a to do list before the actual flashing of new rom.
It said ;
Back up EFS file+ nandroid backup+ Titanium backup.

What is an EFS file, and why haven't I heard of this in all the posts here, and all the videos I have watched on youtube, please???

I don't have the knowledge and expertise to explain exactly what the EFS folder is but what I have ascertained (mainly from stuff I have read on this forum) is that if your EFS gets corrupted, or erased, your phone will not be able to make or receive phone calls, send or receive text or picture messages or connect to any network. Basically, I gather, your phone needs a valid IMEI number and the information contained in the EFS to communicate with the outside world.

This is why it is so important to make sure that you have a backup of the EFS kept in a safe place so that if ever there is a problem you can restore it.

I don't know (but would like to if anybody out there does) if the EFS changes as time goes by and things change on the handset or whether one backup at the start will suffice.

Whether you should make regular periodic backups is something I can't advise you on. I make a backup every time I flash my ROM; actually, as I use NeatROM it is done for me during installation and I just copy it to my 'puter afterwards. I understand many of the better ROMs offer the option to do this but not all.

As it's something that is so crucial to the operation of your phone you should make sure that you have that backup and that it's in a safe place.

I did a Titanium backup , but I think I backed up more than needed. I think I did Apps and data files-- should I remove that from phone now, and use TB after nandroid backup and just back up apps with TB

Whatever state your phone is in when you make a nandroid backup so will be the state of your phone after restoring said nandroid backup!

At the first opportunity you should make a nandroid backup (it's the back up that you make via the options you see when you boot into recovery and by default will backup the complete contents and system state of your phone at that moment) and then keep a copy in a safe place.
That way whatever you subsequently DO to your phone you will be able to UNDO, as long as you can still boot into recovery, by restoring your nandroid backup.

You can later make subsequent nandroid backups effectively giving you different 'restore' points. For instance once you've installed a new ROM, and you see that all is well and your phone boots up okay, you can take another nandroid backup. That way if you bugger things up or you end up installing loads of rubbish just to try, or uninstall some bloatware that you shouldn't have, and your phone stops running well, you can restore your recent nandroid and start all over again from the point you installed the new ROM.

Making a nandroid backup is the important one, it'll save the day. TB is something that you can live without, it's not the end of the world if you don't use Titanium Backup; worst case you'll have to re-install some applications and manually change some settings and maybe start playing some of your games from Level 1 again.

Your phone has to be working to use TB; nandroid will get your phone working again!

Upvote 0
Just used TWRP Manager with instructions from xda. Phone finished whirring after about 8 seconds, giving me a thumbs up - saying recovery flash was successful.
Is that an actual nandroid backup ??

Before I go any further,how do I check please ?? Just gone into (phone)My Files, found TWRP- nothing in there ???

And does it normally take such a short time??
Thanks

Upvote 0
Just used TWRP Manager with instructions from xda. Phone finished whirring after about 8 seconds, giving me a thumbs up - saying recovery flash was successful.

Before I go any further,how do I check please ?? Just gone into (phone)My Files, found TWRP- nothing in there ???

Thanks

I'm not familiar with TWRP as I use Philz but no, that was way too quick.

You need to boot into recovery using Volume UP + Home + Power keys, all pressed at the same time until your phone restarts and goes into recovery mode.

From there you will be given a set of options, one of which will be 'Backup'. Then you may be given other options, for instance 'Custom Backup', but the default settings should give you a full nandroid backup of your phone and should take 5-15 minutes depending on how much data is on your phone and how fast your SD card is.

The default for PhilZ recovery is to save the backup to the SD card but you can choose a different location to save the backup if you want; maybe you can with TWRP but I don't know.

I found this maybe it will help; there's a screenshot of what I imagine is the screen you get after you've rebooted into recovery.

You should be given some clue that a backup is in progress, as it takes a little while and shouldn't be interrupted, and once it's done you should find the end product in a folder on your SD card (if that's the location it saved to). For Philz the end product is a folder (with a name that consists of the date, the name of my ROM and its version) which contains a number of .tar files and .img files as well as others and is over 3GB in total size. I imagine your backup will be something similar.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

Thanks

You can alsoselect backup in twrp manager and it will boot recovery and make the backup. But doing it manually as stated in previous post is just as easy.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
After I had thought the backup was done-very quick-I went downstairs to have some tea. I then noticed that the 8 box TWRP box was open, so carried on with the tutorial that I had printed off earlier. Just following what steps that came up on screen, it started to back up, taking about 13 minutes. Screen then said it had backed up successfully. BUT, I forgot to name backup or where to store it, so can't find it in the phone.
Forgetting to do stuff, because of so many ways/opinions. of backing up, will eventually mean me stuffing phone up.

So, what would happen if I now decided to say sod it, can't be bothered and reset the phone to factory settings. Have I got to unroot first??

I have decided to get a Note4 when it turns up. I only tried to root because the phone ram was always near limit, making it as slow as hell. I had removed apps one by one to see what was using the memory, but failed to find the culprit.

Upvote 0
Forget previous post bit about giving up. :)
Just found a file in a RASHR recoveries called open recovery-....0-i9300 img- would that be it ???
It is listed in MY FILES in device storage, which is probably no good if phone is going to be wiped.

Can I do this backup again, only making sure it goes into SD card with a name?? The tutorial, from TeamWin makes no mention of how or where to store the backup, or else I didn't see it.

On the Backup tab of twrp, I had the system, boot, revovery and data boxes selected- not sure about cache. I also had the Enable Compression and SKIP MD5 generation during backups selected. When I swiped the button to backup, there was a horizontal barbers pole effect where a blue line gradually spread across the length- took about 13 minutes to do. I had a little box turn up which said backup was successful. I thought that was it then.

What is Mount Partitions???

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones