Rooting Sprint Note 3

1. dustwun77

dustwun77 Endeavor to Persevere :) Guide

This is the method that I have found for rooting the Sprint version.

[SM-N900*] CF-Auto-Root - xda-developers

I have not tried it yet. viperboy at XDA confirmed that he did it.

xda-developers - View Single Post - [SM-N900*] CF-Auto-Root

I am having to return this phone for sound quality issues, though, to be fair, I do not know if it is a phone or carrier issue.

I am also waiting to see if the Knox counter issues are overcome and to see what kind of roms turn up and what feature improvements they might contain.

Advertisement
    iTzKPanda likes this.
  2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

dustwun77 and iTzKPanda like this.
  3. ocnbrze

well one thing that sucks for me is that my phone is at N900PVPUBMI5 so it looks like i have a decision to make as the root version posted above will not work with this update.

so do i wait? or root and trip the knox counter?

hmmmmm decisions decisions.........:(
    dustwun77 likes this.
  4. dustwun77

Just got a new phone. Not sure if the call quality issue has been resolved. :(
  5. dustwun77

Not resolved. Going to give it one more shot and if that doesn't work , salvage my upgrade and try again in a month or 2...
  6. ocnbrze

ok so i have been busy of late so i never had a chance to root yet. plus i'm still doing my homework on this. but it seems like i can use odin to flash back to N900PVPUBMI3 with a stock firmware. and then use root de la vega to get root without tripping the knox counter. now i have to familiarize myself with odin as this is my first sammy and never had to use it before.

plus i need to find the stock firmware for N900PVPUBMI3.
  7. dustwun77

I just got the mj4 update. One call is not enough of a test to tell if they have me straightened out. It sounded good though.

Correct me if I am wrong, ocn, but if you do take that route, won't you still trip Knox if you flash a custom recovery?
    ocnbrze likes this.
  8. ocnbrze

Yeah that is what I'm reading as well......custom recovery or kernel will trip it:(
  9. dustwun77

If we get some roms or really great mods I will probably go ahead. But just to freeze bloat? I don't see it :confused:
  10. ocnbrze

It's the cool factor for me.......with this phone at least:smokingsomb:
    dustwun77 likes this.
  11. dustwun77

The tension is building! It seems like the call quality is much improved after the mj4 update.

I am seeing roms and mods and my head is itching! :p
    ocnbrze likes this.
  12. meanmini1

meanmini1 Well-Known Member

At this point im rooting only for the hotspot tether (which works). other than that, until these knox bugs get worked out, it's really not worth it. if sprint wants to charge me a buttload of money every month, you better believe im gonna get that money's worth!:p Also, qbking77 has a youtube video that will root all variants of the note 3. I used that one and no issues until knox got involved. super easy too. took about 2 minutes. qbking77 also has a video for the hotspot tether (or go to his website).
  13. ycs5

ycs5 Member

How can I root my flashed Note 3?
  14. ocnbrze

When you say flashed, what do you mean? Is it on another network?
  15. ycs5

ycs5 Member

Yeah its flashed to Boost. Is there a way to root it?
  16. ocnbrze

The above method should work to gain root. but I can't say for sure if you will loose your flash to boost or not.......in my opinion you should not.

How did you flash it to boost?
  17. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Well-Known Member

I rooted so I could backup and restore all of my apps in Android Tuner and so I could delete and disable a few system apps that were driving me nuts. Mainly the lumen tool bar and knox. Once it was stable I installed twrp and did a few full backups and now I feel pretty safe playing around with it.

I did bootloop it a few times flashing a 4 in 1 mod for the wrong firmware. It restored fine and once I figured out the problem I just did the mod with wanam exposed and all has been good. It's amazing how many apps I have on the phone that work better with root. Even Nova Prime used it to import the settings from TW when I fired it up.

Changing the kernal and being able to run at 2.95ghz is fun too. I don't leave it there because of heat and stability issues, but it's fun to show off to people.

It's my phone. I hate being told what I can't do with it.
    dustwun77 likes this.
  18. iTzKPanda

iTzKPanda AF's resident panda

I used Kingo Root to root my phone today and it didn't trip the Knox counter.

It's a 1-click root that you don't even need to turn your phone off with so it's noob-friendly as well.
    dustwun77 and ocnbrze like this.
  19. ocnbrze

Hmm interesting......is there any requirements before running it?
  20. iTzKPanda

iTzKPanda AF's resident panda

You need to have USB debugging turned on, have the drivers installed on to you computer, and have 5 minutes of spare time for the process to complete.
    dustwun77 and ocnbrze like this.
  21. dustwun77

FWIW,

I went ahead and rooted using the Kingo method. The method is considered controversial. I am not equipped to discuss the technicalities of it, just reporting my history.

I seriously missed the abilities provided by a custom recovery but I did not want to trip Knox. Wanted my cake and to be able to eat it too.

Predictably, I got my phone into a state that i was not happy with and ended up installing a recovery using Odin.

I have to admit that Odin initially put me off and it took a bit for me to figure out how to use it. Now that I have used it, I am pleased as punch. It works fine, lasts a long time! :D

Subsequently, I have been on 2 of Freeza's Roms, the stock rooted and his debloated custom. They have both worked great for me, though I did have to use his wifi patch to get my phone to remember how to connect to my home wifi. :)

If I had it to do over, I would root using Chainfire's method above, with Odin. I would immediately install the TWRP Recovery, [RECOVERY] TWRP2.6.3.7 TeamWin Recovery Project 10/23 - xda-developers and make a nandroid backup.

Rooting was a step I was reluctant to take with this phone, for some reason, but now that I have, I am glad I did.
  22. chd8771

chd8771 Member

Will cf auto root work with the mj4 update.
  23. chd8771

chd8771 Member

Can you use CF Auto Root with the MJ4 update?
    dustwun77 likes this.
  24. dustwun77

25. Be careful BC of rogers