Rooting T-Mobile Advice

Last Updated:

1. b0ng0

b0ng0 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi guys, just a few questions:

I have an HTC Desire on T-Mobile. I am finally wanting to root it (just because I like getting the most out of my stuff).

I was going to follow this guide: How To: Root the HTC Desire (Unrevoked Method) | TheUnlockr
    as it seems to be the most concise one I have found so far, and the easiest.

I've read a lot of forums about SIM locked phoned, gold cards, etc. do I need to worry about this stuff using unRevoked? There doesn't seem to be any mention about it in any unRevoked guides...

Also, if I run unrevoked, do I need to install a custom ROM as well? At the moment I'd just like to root it, then have a think about what ROM to choose.

If I hold down the back key and turn the phone on I get:

BRAVO PVTI SHIP S-ON
    HBOOT 0.93.0001
    MICROP 031d
    TOUCHPANEL SYNT0101
    RADIO 5.10.05.17_2

Thanks very much for any help! :)

Advertisement
  2. EddyOS

EddyOS Well-Known Member

unrEVOked flashes a custom recovery (so you can flash custom ROMs) but other than that it just gives you root access. It doesn't flash a ROM so you can stay with your current one for the time being. I'd make a gold card as you're on a branded Desire, but you can do this after rooting if you want.

The only issue is you're on a ROM that can't be restored to stock as yet as the T-Mobile 2.22.110.4 RUU isn't available at present. How long have you had your Desire?

3. b0ng0

I think I've had it since April this year - it came with Android 2.1 on it, so if I need to unroot it I guess that should be okay?

So for rooting, I don't need a gold card? I'm still not really sure what they're for - is it if your phone is SIM locked? If so, is there a way to find out?

4. EddyOS

EddyOS Well-Known Member

A gold card is used to flash an official ROM different from what originally came with the handset, e.g. flashing a stock WWE ROM onto your T-Mobile-branded Desire. It's not needed for rooting.

Pretty sure I've replied to you on XDA, if you got it on 2.1 then you can get the 1.21.110.4 RUU to roll back if you need to but you'll need the gold card to roll back the HBOOT (not 100% sure on that, though)

5. b0ng0

Must be an imposter, I'm not registered on XDA (although I do read the forums there) :D.

So as far as having 0.93.0001 HBOOT goes, unRevoked should work.

Say I want to flash a custom ROM with unRevoked, do I then need a gold card or is that just for putting another "official" ROM on your phone that isn't a custom one?

Sorry if these are basic questions, I'm generally quite good with computery stuff but phones are still a bit of a mystery to me. :p

6. EddyOS

EddyOS Well-Known Member

0.93 is fine for unrEVOked, gold card is only needed to flash stock ROM different from an original T-Mobile one (T-Mobile UK ROMs are x.xx.110.x). No gold card needed for a custom ROM

b0ng0 likes this.
  7. b0ng0

Fantasic, thanks for the information. Will try to root tonight and hopefully all will go well.

One last question, will rooting wipe my phone?

8. EddyOS

EddyOS Well-Known Member

No, but flashing a new ROM will. All rooting with unrEVOked does is to flash a new recovery image and add the Superuser app to the phone to allow root access to apps that need it

b0ng0 likes this.
  9. Cruden

Cruden Well-Known Member

I have a tmobile uk htc desire, and looking to root, my phone details are

Bravo pvt3 ship s-on
    hboot 0.93.0001
    microp - 051d
    touch panel -synt0101
    radio 5.11.05.27
    aug 10 2010 17:52:18

Does anyone have this, or know the safest method to root and put a custom rom on this?

10. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Same as any other. Please see the rooting FAQ.

11. Cruden

Cruden Well-Known Member

Thanks, just being cautious. So many bad stories about simple procedures going wrong, the desire seems alot more complicated than my previous rooted galaxy portal.

What are the dangers if unrevoked fails? Will it go back to the way it was before? It says it wont work on stock froyo