• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting Telus HTC Hero

captaincool

Aug 17, 2009
Hello everyone. I recently purchased my hero from Telus (my first android phone) and so far I'm decently happy. However I really want to update to a newer version of the OS as there are some quirks with 1.5! What does a telus hero need to have done in order to root it and install a custom rom? Do I have to use this gold card method? Is there one difinitive guide for rooting a telus hero that is specific to the telus version of the phone?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You'll subscribe to any thread you create or reply to by default :)

You root the telus hero just like any other (see the guide at the top of this forum). When you first try you should ignore the goldcard method and just try the instantroot and flashrec apps.

You only need to consider the goldcard method if your firmware blocks flashrec and instantroot (which I think a lot of telus users find). In that case you use the goldcard method to downgrade to an older version of the telus firmware on which flashrec + instantroot work :)

Upvote 0
I tried instaroot and in the notification bar it says instant root failed. So I assume I have to do the gold card method then? I'm preparing the goldcard as we speak but will wait for an answer before I brick my phone :p

As well my firmware is not listed in the how to root thread. Mine is 2.73.661.46 CL#74632 What guide should I follow for my Telus Hero in this case?

Upvote 0
I think the guide gives the impression that there's a variety of ways to root the hero, but there's only one method, and that's flashrec. It's just that some firmwares require you to downgrade first.

It does sound like yours needs downgrading. You should try using flashrec, and it you get a 'BACKUP FAILED' message then you'll have to use the goldcard.

Upvote 0
OK I'm almost through the goldcard method. I think I will make a telus guide for hero owners as it seems very confusing starting out as we aren't even listed in the rooting thread.

OK I have two questions before I proceed, I'm at this part >

4. Download this generic HTC Hero RUU

Hero RUU -
2.73.405.5 (alternative)

5. Double click the RUU exe you downloaded while the phone is plugged in with the GoldCard in it and follow the on screen procedure. This will install the old generic Hero rom on your phone, this is to allow you to install a recovery image. Reboot and fill in as few details as possible as these will be overwritten soon.

6. Now you have finished this procedure start from the beginning again.

Do I mount the SD Card for windows reading before opening the Hero RUU? And it says start from the beginning again after I'm done this part, but does it mean the beginning of this guide > [Guide] Complete Newbie Guide to Install a Custom Rom & Newbie FaQ [Updated 02/05] - xda-developers

or should I try instaroot after it is downgraded?

Upvote 0
No, I don't think the SD card should be mounted whilst installing the RUU.

Once you've installed the old firmware, you should use flashrec to put the custom recovery image. Running instantroot is only useful if you want to use titanium backup to back up your apps (since this requires root). The downgraded firmware won't have any apps on it so this is pointless.

EDIT: So you might want to try MyBackup Pro (free 30 day trial) to backup your apps and restore to the new firmware, as it doesn't require root. Or at the very least write down your installed apps.

Upvote 0
No, I don't think the SD card should be mounted whilst installing the RUU.

Once you've installed the old firmware, you should use flashrec to put the custom recovery image. Running instantroot is only useful if you want to use titanium backup to back up your apps (since this requires root). The downgraded firmware won't have any apps on it so this is pointless.

EDIT: So you might want to try MyBackup Pro (free 30 day trial) to backup your apps and restore to the new firmware, as it doesn't require root. Or at the very least write down your installed apps.

Seriously awesome! Thank you for your many replies!! I have root access and now trying to decide which rom I want to install. Is the villianrom the way to go in your opinion?

Upvote 0
At the moment I think the best 2.1 + Sense is Villain 6 (Although version 6.1 and 6.2 don't seem to be working as well, 6.0 is geat :) ).

There is also SenseHero, which is very similar but has a theme applied to it which I don't really like.

There are lots of 2.1 ROMs without HTC sense, but I don't use those so couldn't really recommend any.

EDIT: Actually 6.2 seems ok to me.

Upvote 0
Maybe this is normal but I still got a chuckle out of it, I received this email shortly after installing villianrom 6.2:

Hello,

Your new Nexus One phone has many cool and useful features. Learn more by clicking on the links to watch brief YouTube videos directly on your phone:

Customise your home screen with widgets and live wallpapers. Learn more
Read, search, archive, label and write emails on the go. Learn more
Watch videos or upload your own videos directly to YouTube. Learn more
Get turn by turn directions with satellite and street views of your route. Learn more
Speak and have the phone type for you with voice input. Learn more
Take pictures with your 5mp camera with flash, and view them in your 3D Media Gallery. Learn more
Get cool applications and games on Android Market. Learn more
Sync your contacts, Facebook and email accounts with QuickContact. Learn more
Enjoy!
The Android Team at Google

Upvote 0
I think it's just rom specific because I doubt motorola milestone/droid users are getting emails welcoming them to their new nexus one. But maybe I'm wrong. Either way still funny. The vanillian rom was pulled due to some issues, but the more I play with this 6.2 I think I'm going to stay with it for a few days.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones