Rooting the Atrix on a Mac?

Last Updated: 2011-02-28 14:40:19
  1. silentecho13

silentecho13 Well-Known Member

I don't really have a windows computer available...lol...

I wanted to root my atrix on a mac. Anyone have any experience with this?

Kind of new to android as well, but I love this phone already.

Advertisement
  2. dsmoot

dsmoot Active Member

In theory possible but surely you know someone with a windows or linux box? Worst case is download Knoppix.

It takes about 5 minutes start to finish if you have the files downloaded.

Probably possible on a Mac but you would be on your own... The big catch is if the USB drivers work as expected on a Mac.
    silentecho13 likes this.
  3. silentecho13

I'll look into Knoppix. Thanks for the tip.

I know people with a windows computer, maybe I'll just do it tomorrow on one.
  4. Droid_Genius

Droid_Genius Well-Known Member

Um I am a Mac user, tried bootcamp? Load windows OS on that partition and use it just to root or whatever you need that is not available for Mac
  5. silentecho13

I had a bootcamp partition installed, but for some reason my mac isn't recognizing it anymore. I can't seem to even boot into it.

I do have a windows 7 disc to install from, but I don't have the time to sit and install it lol
  6. Droid_Genius

Oh well, I tried :(
    silentecho13 likes this.
  7. silentecho13

Hey don't get me wrong, I really appreciate the help!

Have you ever had an issue similar to what I'm having? OSX seems to not find your Windows partition anymore?
  8. Motofreaky!

Motofreaky! Member

I'm a mac user & I rooted my Atrix no problems following the instructions.
  9. tical2k

tical2k Well-Known Member

I got errors on recognizing the phone... maybe because i didn't install the moto sync (sorry moto media link?) crap or whatever. Just did it in ubuntu instead.
  10. silentecho13

The same rooting instructions?

Did you go into bootcamp?
  11. JSchu22

JSchu22 Well-Known Member Contributor

Is rooting the Atrix on a Mac an easy process for someone that has never rooted before?
  12. Droid_Genius

Oh nope my bootcamp is fine and never had issues I only have like a 20GB partition for somethings that I must use Windows for
  13. silentecho13

Are you running snow leopard?

My partition disappeared once I upgraded to snow leopard.

It would show up in disk utility and finder, but option-clicking wouldn't let me boot to it at all.
  14. dsjr2006

dsjr2006 Well-Known Member

You can root using a Mac though I don't know what the directions are for the Atrix. No drivers needed :)
  15. silentecho13

I'm not sure if there's a one click solution for mac as yet though, or its there?
  16. Droid_Genius

Yes I'm on 10.6.6, by option clicking you mean at the start up soon as you here the boot sound and gray screen pops up you holding option down? If so should have the two drives appear and let you select one
  17. silentecho13

I'm really not sure what happened to my partition then :/
  18. Droid_Genius

Check disk utility and it should show Macintosh and another drive may say untitled if you didn't name it, I just named mines Windows 7
  19. silentecho13

The name pops up, as well as the partition.

OSX isn't recognizing it as a bootable partition though. I can't seem to get the selection screen when booting the computer. It just disappeared.

I had it formatted in NTFS as well, which isn't directly readable/writeable through OSX. Maybe that had something to do with it?
  20. Droid_Genius

Well it's partitioned right could just be a bad install or glitch, may have to do reinstall :(
  21. silentecho13

I'm guessing so.

Looks like I'll reinstall :/

Hoping to see an OSX solution to rooting though, can't wait!
  22. Komodo Rogue

Komodo Rogue Well-Known Member

Hey OP, sorry you're having trouble! I haven't rooted my Atrix yet (and can't right now either, kinda busy but will tonight), but I think it will be much easier than you seem to be expecting... the rooting instructions for all other android devices I used had all these required drivers, programs, etc, but you should be good to go without having any of that stuff anyway.

just plug in your atrix over usb, turn on usb debugging (settings > apps > development), pull down the notification bar (the white bar at top that has time, signal, battery, etc), and you should see something about the usb connected... press that, hit mount, and if the option pops up anywhere, select "mass storage"

hope that helps - I'll give you a better rundown tonight, if you need it.
    qcom and silentecho13 like this.
  23. silentecho13

What about running super 1-click?

Thanks for the tip man
  24. Battleship

Battleship Member

Have you looked at this? There is a line there relevant to Apple users (you'll need Mono v1.2.6, which I see is compatible with OSX). Good luck!
  25. silentecho13

I've got Mono downloaded and installed, as well as Super One Click.

I have no idea how to use mono.

HALP NAO PLEES!