Rooting the Droid Pro

1. pandemonium91

pandemonium91 Member

I was an avid BB user and have came over to the droid side. My friend has been using a Droid for a while now and has his rooted. Can someone explain this to me and is it possible on the Pro?

Advertisement
    :
  2. RadYOacTiVe

RadYOacTiVe Well-Known Member

Check out Z4ROOT in the market. The app makes it easy to root the Pro. See the dev's thread on XDA:
    [APP] z4root - xda-developers

It took me two tries to get it to work. Did a battery pull and ran the app after the reboot and it worked just fine. Installed wireless tether and a screen capture app. Looking at installing SETCPU and Titanium backup but for now I got what I want. I also use the reboot option in switchpro which can only be done when rooted.
  3. flash24

flash24 Well-Known Member

I used Z4Root as well and it worked perfectly.
  4. pandemonium91

pandemonium91 Member

Is there a forum thread that explains what all rooting does and how to change back if necessary?
  5. bobdigital

bobdigital New Member

n00b question - where do I put the .apk file once I have my Droid Pro connected via USB?

Thanks.
  6. RadYOacTiVe

Z4ROOT should be in the market, just install from there and you will get updates.

Otherwise, I create a folder on my SD card called apps, put the file in there. You need to use a file manager, I use Astro and navigate to the folder and open the file. You should be prompted to install from an "unknown source", check the box and install.

7. Nerdherder

Nerdherder Member

Z4Root is no longer in the Marketplace, any idea where I can download it?
  8. 999Vulcan

999Vulcan Well-Known Member

PM me your email
  9. pandemonium91

pandemonium91 Member

Does Rom Manager work with the Pro yet? I want to put Rom's on my pro and I want to make sure everything is backed up first.
  10. flash24

flash24 Well-Known Member

No available ROMs yet for the Pro.
  11. decapitor

decapitor Member

Just wanted to say z4root worked like a charm for me as well, thanks for the tip.
  12. substanceneil

substanceneil Member

How can I back up my Pro before rooting?
  13. rabidpencil

rabidpencil New Member

I use My Backup Pro from the market. Pretty sure the free one can do most, but I went ahead and paid for it. There are other backup apps as well, just search the market.

Also, contacts, etc are backed up to google by default, so you shouldn't have to do that. They'd be restored once you signed back in to google after rooting.
  14. kjjb0204

kjjb0204 Well-Known Member

z4root works so well, I haven't seen anyone have issues with losing data. I have seen a few threads on it either not working the first time or maybe getting hung up, but haven't heard of losing stuff due to running it.
  15. Nerdherder

Nerdherder Member

I downloaded the z4root apk file and placed it on the sd card as well as emailed it to myself and tried to install it that way. The error I keep getting is "There was a problem parsing the package". Can anyone help me out and point me in the right direction? Ihave installed Astro File Manager as well App Installer and nothing works.
  16. RadYOacTiVe

It took me two tries. First time it looked like it was locked up. Pulled the battery and after the reboot ran the app and it worked.
  17. kjjb0204

Just guessing, but maybe try moving the apk to system/app folder and launching? Also took me two tries, same as radyoactive. Got stuck for a half hour, so I pulled the battery and tried again with success.
  18. Nerdherder

Nerdherder Member

Actually I figured it out. Disabling my anti virus did the trick. apparently someone else was having the same issues with Kapersky and clued me in. Droid Pro is rooted!
  19. tim_lock

tim_lock New Member

Hey everyone. New Droid Pro user switching over from a jailbroken iphone (gasp).

Z4Root is no longer in the market. Anything else I can use to root? Or any other place to download this?
  20. RadYOacTiVe

21. cpeddie

cpeddie New Member

I've successfully rooted the Pro, but cannot get it working with an AT&T SIM. So far, this seems to be universal. Has anyone managed to hack it so it will indeed work on other GSM networks?
  22. kjjb0204

No. At least not anyone with a real production model.
  23. pandemonium91

pandemonium91 Member

Will Rom Manager work with the Pro yet? And is there any good Rom's out there for the Pro yet?
  24. kjjb0204

You can install it, but doesn't recognize the Droid Pro, so no recovery. No roms created yet either.