• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting the Droid without rsd lite up to and including FRG83D

I just finished step 10, and I'm just sitting at a $ prompt. It's been there for at least 2 minutes, if not 5. Any ideas?

close the command prompt and open a new one. Go back to your adb tools folder then do the following.

adb kill-server
adb devices
adb shell

if you still see the $ then you will have to go back to step 9 and try again. If you see the # you can continue on with step 14

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the work you have put into this. I appreciate it.
I am new to this and I am having a problem.

On step #22 I receive a "..................failed on "/system/recovery - from-boot.p'-no such file or directory"

Is this correct or is something missing?

How can I tell if the phone is rooted? Is there an easy way to check even after it reboots?

Upvote 0
ok so I am lost, I recently lost my phone and I just got my replacement, I was looking to reroot it but found out about this new method, honestly this is kinda confusing to me, I understand how to follow the steps, but I dont see how to load a custom rom, how to setup a custom recovery, and finally and most importantly can you go back to the stock rom and recovery after this method is done, like you were able to with the older method.

Upvote 0
That's normal, I still don't even know why OMJ put that command in to be honest. But the comment next to it says if it doesn't work, that's okay. It's not a super important step I don't think IMHO.

Its in there cause it stops the install recovery script that reinstalls the stock recovery. I am not sure why it fails for people on FRG22D but since I dont have a Droid anymore I cant figure out a different solution.

ok so I am lost, I recently lost my phone and I just got my replacement, I was looking to reroot it but found out about this new method, honestly this is kinda confusing to me, I understand how to follow the steps, but I dont see how to load a custom rom, how to setup a custom recovery, and finally and most importantly can you go back to the stock rom and recovery after this method is done, like you were able to with the older method.

After rooting download rom manager from the market. It will flash the clockworkmod recovery for you. To go back to stock the best way is to use rsd lite and a stock sbf file.

Reactions: paintball31390
Upvote 0
I did step 8 and I get a $ that just sits there, is this right?

oh wait i continued through, I dont know if it worked

Sorry I didnt see this until now. Did you get it figured out?

when i do step 6 im not getting the long device number. what am i doing wrong?

Do you have usb debugging turned on? You could try doing the following in the command prompt in your adb tool folder.

adb kill-sever
adb devices

sometimes the adb server needs to be restarted.

Upvote 0
Every time I try adb shell (step 8), it just goes to the $--I have never gotten the #, running the Android SDK R7. I can copy rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin fine (or so it appears), but can't get the shell command to work. I've rebooted the phone twice. Any suggestions?

on step 8 you should see $. Its on step 13 you will see #

Upvote 0
Before I start some of this here is some background. I had used easyroot to root my Droid pre-FRG22D. That was also before I found this awesome forum. Then without thinking I was in such a rush to get 2.2 all setup I lost root. Is there anything I might run into. Easyroot will not let me unroot my phone and a lot of apps think it is rooted but nothing works that requires root. Am I looking at a factory reset first to get my phone rooted do you think?

Upvote 0
Before I start some of this here is some background. I had used easyroot to root my Droid pre-FRG22D. That was also before I found this awesome forum. Then without thinking I was in such a rush to get 2.2 all setup I lost root. Is there anything I might run into. Easyroot will not let me unroot my phone and a lot of apps think it is rooted but nothing works that requires root. Am I looking at a factory reset first to get my phone rooted do you think?

no reason to factory reset or anything like that. Just follow the method in the op and you will be rooted just fine.

Reactions: StrifeJester
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones