• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting the EVO 4g

Hey all. I have been browsing since I bought the Sprint, Evo 4G. I am a truck driver and spend weeks out on the road. I am happy with my phone but some what disappointed.

I guess its my fault not researching thing before hand, but my main objective is to watch netflix via hdmi from my evo to my Tv. I was told by my local Sprint guy that I need to root my phone. But he cant/wont do it. Also he said rooting will get rid of all the bs on my phone and it will run better, an more useful. Draw back is, it will cancel out my warranty and insurance. Im not to worried about it.

How hard is rooting? The sprint guy here said it takes 8-10 hrs. I have computer experience and what not, might make it easier for me... I have looked at some links that kinda help (like a walkthrough) But I was just wondering from the guys here that have done it their selfs.

Thanks very much.

Hi there truckdrivermn!

Welcome to the Android Forums! I personally have a Sprint HTC EVO 4G myself and have yet to root it. I may do so sometime soon.
Anyways, I highly recommend that you check out the thread devoted to rooting the EVO 4G, here....EVO 4G: All Things Root Guide

Also, if you want an easy way to access the forum directly from your EVO, I highly recommend the free Phandroid app, which you can find here at in the Google Play Market....Phandroid

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forums! :D

It def does not take take 8-10 hours. Depending on your H-boot it could only take 15-20 mins once you get everything downloaded.

Pull the battery out of your phone and put it back in,

Then hold power+volume down to get to your H-boot screen. Post what you see there and we can link you to the step-by-step directions to achieve root.

Upvote 0
thank you all for the welcomes and replies. Here is whats on my screen, (BTW Latest update was 2.3.5)

*** LOCKED (00W) ***
SUPERSONIC EVT3 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-2.18.0001
MICROP-041F
TOUCH PANEL ATMEL224_16AB
RADIO-2.15.00.12.19

Thinks thats all you might need..?

Thanks again for the help. Once I get set in the direction and have instructions Im pretty good at figuring stuff out... Just at this point, Im as dumb as a bag of rags with this phone..

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Thanks for the Info. It looks like you accepted the newest OTA. You are running H-boot 2.18 with gingerbread 2.3.5

Your rooting guide can be found here:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...-rooting-gingerbread-2-3-5-dummies-guide.html

This is a little more in depth to do than previous root methods, but can still be done if you follow the steps. Others who have done this method have suggested printing the steps out so that you can follow along more easily.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the Info. It looks like you accepted the newest OTA. You are running H-boot 2.18 with gingerbread 2.3.5

Your rooting guide can be found here:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...-rooting-gingerbread-2-3-5-dummies-guide.html

This is a little more in depth to do than previous root methods, but can still be done if you follow the steps. Others who have done this method have suggested printing the steps out so that you can follow along more easily.

I about imagine i could have found that with a little more searching... I apologize..

I really want to give this a try. Do you guys know how hard it is to do the mirroring via the hdmi after i root? I was hoping the app i downloaded would have worked but it keeps saying the cable is not connected. (app is HDMwIn) Maybe after rooting it will work..

Upvote 0
I don't believe the stock kernel supports it. After rooting you will be able to flash a custom kernel with HDMI out enabled.

(the process for flashing a kernel is MUCH easier than rooting, so no worries there)

Where would the best place to find the steps for flashing the kernel?

This seems like a difficult task. I use my phone for business all day everyday. Im probably making a mistake for attempting this but heck, wont know till I try!

Upvote 0
Once you get the bootloader unlocked and get a custom recovery on there all you need to do is download the kernel (I'd suggest aggressive freedom), put it on the SD card, reboot into your recovery, wipe Dalvik cache & cache & flash the kernel.

Aggressive Freedom download:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/63060876/Aggressive-Freedom-v0.9-UNIVERSAL-signed.zip

Once you achieve root ( in your case bootloader unlocked with a custom recovery) you can find instructions for doing just about anything you could want to do here:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html
Just ignore the rooting steps since they wont apply to you and continue to the life after root section.

Upvote 0
great thread!! I am new to rooting as well. I did my evo in about 2 hours one night..and that is because I had zero experience...didnt even know what "root" was!! LOL, My wife just got a new one from asurion (insurance company)...gonna root it for her...shouldnt take too long!

Check the Hboot to make sure your using the right method!

Upvote 0
@truckdriver..if and when you root, among all the roms available, try mikG rom...
(see link below)...I run it and it is very stable...a sense based rom, I might add. Been running it since I rooted 3 months ago...Good luck! Lots of knowledgeable people here in this site to help you (trust me, I know):):)

Link to MikG v3.11

MikG v3.11 [3/9/2012]

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forums! :D

It def does not take take 8-10 hours. Depending on your H-boot it could only take 15-20 mins once you get everything downloaded.

Pull the battery out of your phone and put it back in,

Then hold power+volume down to get to your H-boot screen. Post what you see there and we can link you to the step-by-step directions to achieve root.

Thanks for being so helpful. Do you have time to help someone else out in the same manner?

Upvote 0
Thanks for being so helpful. Do you have time to help someone else out in the same manner?

we here at AF are here for you. that is the great thing about this forum and this website. so like rxpert says, please feel free to come here for help. please provide as much info as you can so that we can try and figure out what you need help with.

one thing that will help is knowing what is your hboot version.

1. so first make sure that you have fastboot disabled, settings>apps>uncheck fastboot.
2. power off then press and hold power+vol down
3. this will take you to the bootloader screen

if you can report back what you see on the screen of your phone, we can then know what direction to point you to.

Upvote 0
we here at AF are here for you. that is the great thing about this forum and this website. so like rxpert says, please feel free to come here for help. please provide as much info as you can so that we can try and figure out what you need help with.

one thing that will help is knowing what is your hboot version.

1. so first make sure that you have fastboot disabled, settings>apps>uncheck fastboot.
2. power off then press and hold power+vol down
3. this will take you to the bootloader screen

if you can report back what you see on the screen of your phone, we can then know what direction to point you to.

I guess I recieved a phone from Sprint that was a Refurb and it is partially rooted already - that is good right? Can you read my "tea leaves" below and tell me what I have? Here is my boot log. Please Mr. Wizard...what does all this mean???:thinking:

FASTBOOT
-Revolutionary-
SUPERSONIC EVT3 SHIP S-OFF
HBOOT-6.16.1002
MICROP-041f
TOUCH PANEL-ATMEL224_16ab
RADIO-2.15.00.12.19
Mar 8 2011, 17:02:15

Upvote 0
I guess I recieved a phone from Sprint that was a Refurb and it is partially rooted already - that is good right? Can you read my "tea leaves" below and tell me what I have? Here is my boot log. Please Mr. Wizard...what does all this mean???:thinking:

FASTBOOT
-Revolutionary-
SUPERSONIC EVT3 SHIP S-OFF
HBOOT-6.16.1002
MICROP-041f
TOUCH PANEL-ATMEL224_16ab
RADIO-2.15.00.12.19
Mar 8 2011, 17:02:15

You have root
You need to concentrate only on a custom recovery. AMON RA is the recovery of choice. I'm on phone so I can't link.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones