Rooting the Fascinate Regardless of OS Version

1. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

This is only for the Verizon Samsung Fascinate do not use for any other phone

As always myself, android forums and anyone else are not responsible for what you do to your phone.

This instructions are for windows only at this point. I may put together instructions for linux later on

That being said if you don’t follow this instructions closely and mess around with settings in Odin you could brick your phone. Whatever you do in odin always use the pda button to select files never use the phone button.

*Credit to Adrynalyne for the cwmrecovery file and the modified superuser zip
    *Credit to Koush for the update.zip

Download the following
    Samsung Drivers
    Odin
    CWMRecovery_DJ05_DL09.tar.md5
    Update.zip
    su-2.3.6.1+busybox1.19.zip

1.) Install the Samsung Drivers
    2.) Place Odin3 v1.3.exe and CWMRecovery_DJ05_DL09.tar.md5 in the same folder on your pc
    3.) Place the update.zip and su-2.3.6.1+busybox1.19.zip in the root of your sdcard (root means not in any folder just on the sdcard)
    4.) Put your phone in download mode by taking out the battery. Then hold the volume down button while plugging it into the usb cable attached to your computer
    5.) Open Odin
    6.) This is very very important ***Don’t touch any settings in odin only use the pda button and start button***
    7.) Im going to say that again just for emphasis Don’t touch any settings and only use the pda and start buttons. Using the phone button to flash tar files will leave you with a brick

8.) So press the pda button then select CWMRecovery_DJ05_DL09.tar.md5
    9.) Press start (Note this will reboot your phone when complete)
    10.) Once your phone has booted up and you know everything is still good, power the phone off.
    11.) Power the phone on while holding the entire volume button down. Let go of the power button when the Samsung logo shows but keep holding the whole volume button.
    12.) This will boot you into the stock recovery. Use the volume rocker to move down to apply sdcard:update.zip then press the home key
    13.) After it applies you will be in clockworkmod recovery
    14.) Use the volume rocker to navigate to install zip from sdcard. This time though you will use the back key to select. (I know it is annoying that there are two different select keys but get used to it)
    15.) Navigate down and select choose zip from sdcard
    16.) Navigate to su-2.3.6.1+busybox1.19.zip press back to select it
    17.) Navigate down and select Yes – Install su-2.3.6.1+busybox1.19.zip
    18.) Once that is done press the search button to go back a menu
    19.) Then select reboot system now
    20.) Congrats you are now rooted

Advertisement
    Jsheets420, rrainz, AZgl1500 and 16 others like this.
  2. davidnmegan6907

davidnmegan6907 Well-Known Member

thanks for putting this together now I can just link the whole thing instead of having to do the whole walk through and getting links over and over again. You da man OMJ

I mean dont get me wrong I love helping ppl out. It just sucks when Im on my phone going from page to page gathering links when I get the HEEEEELLLLLLLLPPPPPPPP PMs
  3. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Well-Known Member

should help quite a few people out there :)
  4. saps

saps Well-Known Member

5. davidnmegan6907

yea i kinda through that 1 in there just for you bud :cool:
  6. Crucial

Crucial Well-Known Member

Quick question: Do steps 5 through 20 all happen with the battery removed from the phone?

I assume the phone is in a low power mode even if you power it off as long as the battery's still in?
  7. davidnmegan6907

the phone is drawing power from the computer
    but the battery can be put back in I put it back in and so does nit (i think)
  8. s44

s44 Well-Known Member

Showcase drivers? And aren't there separate sets for 32 and 64 bit?
  9. Crucial

Crucial Well-Known Member

Oh i figured it was using the power from the PC. I was more curious if the step of removing the battery was required, or if you really could just hold down the volume button and then plug in the usb cord.
  10. davidnmegan6907

no because you have to remove the battery to get it into d/l unless you are running a theme with d/l option
  11. bobski209

bobski209 New Member

Hi, newbie here with my first exposure to android phones. After a few weeks of playing with my Fascinate, I've finally decide to root it. My phone currently has the DL09 OTA update .

I am following OMJ's guide above step by step. Everything looks good up until step 12 where I go to apply sdcard:update.zip. I get this message:

E: failed to verify whole-file signature
    E: signature verification failed
    Installation aborted.

Any idea where I went wrong?
  12. nklenchik

nklenchik Well-Known Member

You need to download clockwork recovery on the phone through odin. Did you use the clockwork link above first?
  13. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

did it say success in odin or did it fail?
  14. burn1010

burn1010 Well-Known Member

after step 12 i get an exclamation point next to a little android dude...
    im a newbie so this kinda scares me...thanks
  15. speedfreak

speedfreak Well-Known Member

I get the same thing. My phone didn't reboot after CWM it said it was successful but didn't reboot. After the exclamation point you can touch the home button and get the message that bobski got. I'm on DL09 also.

Also if you add to the end of number 4 to put the battery back in then the phone will reboot automatically.
  16. landolakes

landolakes Well-Known Member

I get the same thing
  17. speedfreak

In addition my phone will not power on without the battery in unless it is in downloading mode.
  18. davidnmegan6907

Yea thats normal, and if you guys will wait just a min I have some more help coming
  19. saps

saps Well-Known Member

As OMJ said in post #13 make sure the recovery tar takes and you get success. I recall months ago many of us were flashing it twice [step #8 on OMJ's list above] it wont hurt anything to do it twice for those of you who's CWM is not taking. Im kinda at a loss here myself without seeing and hearing each specific case. This should work as he described
  20. davidnmegan6907

Yea from the pm I got it showed success but the errors are from cwr not being installed am I correct saps?
  21. davidnmegan6907

Has anyone tried to install clockwork again yet?
  22. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Yes that error occurs when the recovery tar does not take. I've seen it before. There are work arounds beyond my skills. OMJ would know
  23. speedfreak

burn1010 likes this.
  24. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Bingo then. OMJ's file might be bad then. Yeah lets get the word out to use the old one in xda. Also if you havent matched a DJ05/DL09 kernel with your DL09 rom you will not have haptic
  25. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

Ive used the file several times as well as some other people in the irc. Not sure why it wouldnt be working for people.

anyone who is having problems can try this file http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7223192/RootSF/CWMRecovery_DL09.tar.md5 in odin instead of the one linked. Adryn made this as well but like the old one it flashes a kernel but at least its a DL09 kernel instead of a di01 kernel.
    Inphosys likes this.