• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting the Motorola Admiral

Ran the rooting process as described: Worked like a champ. First try - Win.

@rheller219 - Don't want to derail this thread... But make sure the mute button isn't pressed (not the power, the other one at the top). No sound issues for me. Loud as clear: All the DC gloriousness as expected from having a rooted android with a walkie-talkie.

Upvote 0
My speaker is loud and clear. When you are in a DC call look at the screen and push the speaker button on the touch screen. In other words turn it on and off when the other person is talking to see if it make a diff. You might have a bad speaker. Good luck

PS.
Can a MOD please move this post :) This really has nothing to do with ROOTING.

Upvote 0
Yes got it,
Thanks again for the help. I have a few tether aps i'm going to try and get working on thing

Excellent! Definitely post if you get Wifi Tether working. As I just posted to SprintUsers:

Klink, a USB tethering app, I've had working since Day 2.

Still no WiFi tethering. Yet. The one I get the closest on is http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/. I get no errors, but my client laptop doesn't get an IP address.

I was able to verify that the Admiral has the correct kernal options for that app though. So it *should* work....

Upvote 0
You should be able to install a bootstrapped recovery after you are rooted (since Motorola locks their bootloaders, of course...except for the Xoom so far)...I used a bootstrap recovery on the XPRT and with the Photon as well.

Maybe check out the rooting info from the Photon over at XDA, you might be able to use the same bootstrap recovery from the Photon, it's called "Bootstrap_signed.apk" and should still be available there...who knows, maybe worth a try!

Good Luck! :)

VegasRooted

Upvote 0
Hey fellas, try "Wifi Tether 3.1-beta2" (just Google that exact name)... I have used it on the Motorola XPRT and the Motorola Photon 4G with success. I imagine it would likely work on the Admiral as well, provided that it uses a similar kernel...

VegasRooted

PS-- Don't forget to go into the settings of Wifi Tether 3.1 beta 2 and select "Change Device-Profile", then pick "Motorola DroidX (CDMA)" ...

VegasRooted
Just gave it a go and no luck. But thanks for the heads up. I get a 'mobile IP registration failed'

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones