Rooting the Motorola Admiral

1. Illindar

Illindar New Member

Ran the rooting process as described: Worked like a champ. First try - Win.

@rheller219 - Don't want to derail this thread... But make sure the mute button isn't pressed (not the power, the other one at the top). No sound issues for me. Loud as clear: All the DC gloriousness as expected from having a rooted android with a walkie-talkie.
  2. rheller219

rheller219 Member

If the mute was on, i would get NO sound. I get some sound, just no where near what it should be. I need a way to turn up the volume on DC calls
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Well-Known Member

My speaker is loud and clear. When you are in a DC call look at the screen and push the speaker button on the touch screen. In other words turn it on and off when the other person is talking to see if it make a diff. You might have a bad speaker. Good luck

PS.
    Can a MOD please move this post :) This really has nothing to do with ROOTING.
  4. rheller219

rheller219 Member

Definately rooted to a point. allowed me superuser access to uninstall apps that wouldnt uninstall normally. Big thanks!
  5. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

So it can be rooted? Is it perm root or temp root? Do root apps work?
  6. rheller219

rheller219 Member

most of the rooted apps I tried are working for me. waiting for clockworkmod to get our phone in there so hopefully we can benefit from all that stuff.
  7. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Yeah if they get clockworkmod working that would be great. Any chance of pulling the direct connect .apk out?
  8. SanDiegoStevo

SanDiegoStevo Member

I use AdFreeAndroid and Titanium backup, both of which require root.
  9. SurrealOne

After thinking I had ROOT but now I find it did not work gonna wipe and try it again. Titanium did not work for me told me I was not ROOTED.
  10. SurrealOne

I think my problem was running 1 click from windows and not a command promt
  11. SanDiegoStevo

SanDiegoStevo Member

So, you got it working now?!
  12. SurrealOne

Yes got it,
    Thanks again for the help. I have a few tether aps i'm going to try and get working on thing
  13. SanDiegoStevo

SanDiegoStevo Member

Excellent! Definitely post if you get Wifi Tether working. As I just posted to SprintUsers:

Klink, a USB tethering app, I've had working since Day 2.

Still no WiFi tethering. Yet. The one I get the closest on is http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/. I get no errors, but my client laptop doesn't get an IP address.

I was able to verify that the Admiral has the correct kernal options for that app though. So it *should* work....
  14. SanDiegoStevo

SanDiegoStevo Member

15. SurrealOne

GREAT!!!!!
    I'm going to have to wait this one out a few I'm work right now. I will spend the weekend testing and trying.
  16. rheller219

rheller219 Member

I was able to unroot using the program from this site. also may root the machine but havent tried yet

Pete's Motorola Root Tools
  17. SanDiegoStevo

SanDiegoStevo Member

I avoided that one, because it specifically says 2.3.4 or earlier. Our Admirals have 2.3.5. Of course it may still work. Who knows.
  18. venaka

venaka New Member

Ok I did it thanks SANDIEGO..But like you I still cant tether the wifi
  19. turg

turg New Member

rheller219 or other folks who had success here and then removed apps, any chance you could list some of the apps you removed safely? I'd love to get rid of some of the Sprint/Moto junk but feeling a bit chicken.
  20. VegasRooted

VegasRooted Member

Hey fellas, try "Wifi Tether 3.1-beta2" (just Google that exact name)... I have used it on the Motorola XPRT and the Motorola Photon 4G with success. I imagine it would likely work on the Admiral as well, provided that it uses a similar kernel...

Good Luck! :)

VegasRooted
  21. VegasRooted

VegasRooted Member

PS-- Don't forget to go into the settings of Wifi Tether 3.1 beta 2 and select "Change Device-Profile", then pick "Motorola DroidX (CDMA)" ...

VegasRooted
  22. VegasRooted

VegasRooted Member

You should be able to install a bootstrapped recovery after you are rooted (since Motorola locks their bootloaders, of course...except for the Xoom so far)...I used a bootstrap recovery on the XPRT and with the Photon as well.

Maybe check out the rooting info from the Photon over at XDA, you might be able to use the same bootstrap recovery from the Photon, it's called "Bootstrap_signed.apk" and should still be available there...who knows, maybe worth a try!

VegasRooted
  23. VegasRooted

VegasRooted Member

You might also try "Droid 2 Recovery Bootstrap" or one of the other Recovery Bootstraps made by Koush (ClockworkMod) that you can find on the Android Market...I found that the Droid 2 Recovery Bootstrap worked on the Motorola XPRT quite well, not sure if it would work on the Admiral but who knows...

VegasRooted
  24. SurrealOne

Just gave it a go and no luck. But thanks for the heads up. I get a 'mobile IP registration failed'