• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rooting Time

You will need to partition your sd card first.

Dan, quick question regarding the partition.

[edited for clarity]

When is the right time to format the SD card? I'm planning to copy the SD card contents to my PC then root using Unrevoked3. I assume I boot into ClockworkMod Recovery after rooting and format the card (with the Ext3 partition) before going any further?

I also assume that the first nandroid backup would be made after formatting, and it would be stored on SD?

Upvote 0
Am I right thinking that I format the card with the Ext3 partition for A2SD+ by booting into clockworkmod after I've rooted using UnrEVOked3? I'm also assuming that I take a nandroid backup from clockworkmod after the card is formatted - not much point doing it before! ;)

I hope that one day I will understand what you wrote. :eek:

Upvote 0
I hope that one day I will understand what you wrote. :eek:

LOL! To be honest, I've been reading as many threads as I can about rooting and making notes along the way, and I made a list of steps that I will use when I root - every last detail. It's only in the last few days that everything finally started to fit together and make sense - this time last week a question like that would have been an impossibility!

I edited my post to make it clearer, could be useful for other people if they can actually understand what the hell is being said! ;)

Upvote 0
So here's the plan (not looking to use custom rom just yet)

phone is unlocked and unbranded, got to luv CPW sim free phones :) so i'm thinking a Gold Card is unnecessary.

Bootloader = 0.93.0001

1. Download unrevoked3 (Done and stopped to double check)
2. Run unrevoked3 (Phone will now be rooted?)
3. Complete Nandroid backup

Job Done :thinking:

Then bug Dan regarding partitioning the SD Card :D and again at a later date if I decide to flash custom roms (is there something I should do now in preparation for the inevitable :) )

Install SetCPU and underclock
Install something that allows screenshots and post on the homescreen thread ;)

Have I missed anything / got anything wrong????

Sorry about all the questions :eek:

Upvote 0
Does unrevoked3 allow you to root a phone that's on Froyo 2.2

Looks like it does.

Just run through the Unrevoked3 process and it reported success.

Now in recovery mode > backup/restore > backup and it's running a backup (assume this is a nandroid back up).

Now to download some of those apps. Thanks Again Dan for the help/advice

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones