• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root rooting tool, a 'one click' program!

-------------------------------
UPDATE 19/07/10: regarding apps2sd (and thanks to Lekky and a vast number of wise posters as I trawled [not trolled;)] through the threads). Remember, I am running the OpenDesire Official 2.2 with Sense ROM (link in a post below) and may have different experiences from your own ROM.
Download/install Clockwork ROM Manager and Titanium Backup from market
Open TitaniumBackup and download BusyBox on request--select 'Problems?' if it doesnt request automatically (it will not let you do much if you dont).
From top bar, select Backup/Restore> menu> Batch> Backup all user apps & system data, and watch it do its thing
Using usb connection (as diskdrive) copy your entire sdcard to pc (to save time get rid of music/pics etc you already have on the pc), safely disconnect usb
Open ROMmanager, it will likely tell you it needs clockworkmod recovery, which you already have, but allow it to install it anyways. I did this thru selecting 'FlashClockworkMod Recovery'. Now select 'PartitionSDCard'> Ext Size> 512mb>Swap>0 and let it do its thing... it will reboot, but may take a couple of minutes
Connect usb as diskdrive, copy the previous contents back onto sd, remount sd
Open Titanium backup> backup/restore> menu> batch>restore missing apps & all system data> run, and let it do its thing, but you may have to install certain ones by request (once installed do not 'open', select 'done' and it moves on)
Open ROM Manager> Fix Permissions, let it do its thing (I had a number of FCs til I did this)
Restart phone and you should have all your apps, data etc and loads of free space on Internal Memory (after all my app restores the internal went from 128Mb to 126Mb)
Jobs a good 'un, cool and groovy!
--------
As before, there are probably easier ways to do this, but this worked for me. Any comments, clarifications, top tips, welcome and will be added.

Finally, all thanks to those who went before:D Legends, the lot of them!
Excellent mate, done and dusted. Couple of questions though, how come the apps dont show up as been on the SD card when i go into settings>apps>manage>on SD card its blank, but i know that they are on there as i have 117 MB free on internal memory (how come so low? i only have 10-15 apps) anyway, im happy with that. Question 2. All future apps, will they go on to SD card automatically? or will they need putting on,, and if so, how :D

I love this forum guys, everyone is so helpful :cool:

Upvote 0
cool, glad it worked for you also.
1. AFAIK, that screen only shows the 2.2 native/built-in a2sd; the way we've done it here is now being called a2sd+, and the way to check apps is: in manage applications when you select and app there should be a greyed out button for 'move to sdcard' (its greyed out because it is already on the sd). ;)
1.5. have you got Google Earth as one of you apps? even with a2sd+:)o!!) it still takes up 10Mb of space on internal (must be roughly 50/50)
2. yup, that seems to be the case; done directly by the ROM. So, leave well alone, sit back and pour yourself a cocktail!

Upvote 0
1. AFAIK, that screen only shows the 2.2 native/built-in a2sd; the way we've done it here is now being called a2sd+, and the way to check apps is: in manage applications when you select and app there should be a greyed out button for 'move to sdcard' (its greyed out because it is already on the sd). !

Is that only on 2.2 though?

Upvote 0
1. AFAIK, that screen only shows the 2.2 native/built-in a2sd; the way we've done it here is now being called a2sd+, and the way to check apps is: in manage applications when you select and app there should be a greyed out button for 'move to sdcard' (its greyed out because it is already on the sd). ;)
1.5. have you got Google Earth as one of you apps? even with a2sd+:)o!!) it still takes up 10Mb of space on internal (must be roughly 50/50)
2. yup, that seems to be the case; done directly by the ROM. So, leave well alone, sit back and pour yourself a cocktail!

Im sure that they were greyed out before as well mate, i remember thinking that they were greyed out because they weren't able to be moved to SD.....? either way we have enough internal memory so its all good. :D

Oh, and BTW, Google earth is only 5.72 MB so where does all the other come from? i haven't got it installed anyway :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Im sure that they were greyed out before as well mate, i remember thinking that they were greyed out because they weren't able to be moved to SD.....? either way we have enough internal memory so its all good. :D

Oh, and BTW, Google earth is only 5.72 MB so where does all the other come from? i haven't got it installed anyway :rolleyes:

OK, I cant remember what was greyed out:eek:. I ahvent had time to play with it fully since I got it up and running last night.

Earth expands when you get it on your phone, much like the way it zooms in, to a massive 20+Mb

Upvote 0
Created a thread about it but gonna ask in here too in case.

I'm not happy with the way the ROM I used turned out. What do I need to do (after formatting and partitioning my SD card for a2sd+) to switch from one ROM to another cleanly please?

I followed the guide to the letter and it worked fine, it's just the ROM I used that I'm not happy with.

Edit: It's an unlocked and sim-free Desire btw.

Upvote 0
Created a thread about it but gonna ask in here too in case.

I'm not happy with the way the ROM I used turned out. What do I need to do (after formatting and partitioning my SD card for a2sd+) to switch from one ROM to another cleanly please?

I followed the guide to the letter and it worked fine, it's just the ROM I used that I'm not happy with.

Edit: It's an unlocked and sim-free Desire btw.

1st, I would check the dev's own comments on installing the ROM, and whether you need a new radio.zip also, as they provide instructions on datawipes etc.
a generic version, as I have done it:
once you've backed everything up (titanium and nandroid is usually recommended; you can backup the ROM in manager, but I havent tried it yet)), transferred it to pc, and partitioned your card (which wipes it clean, be careful to have already backed up!)
copy the zip to your sd (!!oops, forgot that bit!!)
Open ROM manager> install ROM from SDCard>[ROM].zip and let it do its thing
a restart should mean you're off in the new world!
anyproblems try wipe/factory reset (taking the dev's advice first)

Upvote 0
Nandroid backs up your entire ROM, it is a total system backup that you can restore from the recovery menu even if your ROM gets totally corrupted and the phone won't boot. Titanium just backs up your apps and settings, these can only be restored once you have a working ROM on the system.

Reactions: Rew
Upvote 0
Well I'd like to thoroughly recommend the LeeDroid 1.4 release (Froyo, Sense and extras). It has all the best bits with some of the junk removed and its stable and zippy on my desire.

A lot of apps still not showing up as on SD even though I know they are. Anyone know how to fix?
Looks good, but the radio will sim lock us orange users it says, the open desire teams rom didn't sim lock me though........ i think i will stick with this one for now, not had any major issues with it, and the issues i have had are very manageable...... It does look a clean fast ROM though

Upvote 0
Thanks for the guide, worked a treat this morning on my T-Mo Desire. I installed the OpenDesire ROM and noticed a couple of things:

The network indicator at the top says 3G even when connected to HSDPA (confirmed by going into Settings>About Phone and checking network type) - download speed seems as fast as it was before so I'm not too concerned.

Google voice search doesn't work with the ROM. A bit gutted as I used this quite a lot before.

Can't install Google Sky Map, just says 'Installation Failed'

It is bloody quick though and seems very stable so I'm well chuffed.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the guide, worked a treat this morning on my T-Mo Desire. I installed the OpenDesire ROM and noticed a couple of things:

The network indicator at the top says 3G even when connected to HSDPA (confirmed by going into Settings>About Phone and checking network type) - download speed seems as fast as it was before so I'm not too concerned.

Google voice search doesn't work with the ROM. A bit gutted as I used this quite a lot before.

Can't install Google Sky Map, just says 'Installation Failed'

It is bloody quick though and seems very stable so I'm well chuffed.

hey, cool. I had not noticed the lack of H, but now you mention it i remember reading a number of ROMs have used fixes to get this to show.
I have not tried the Sky Map; I have installed google Earth as a test and that worked fine, so I assumed... etc

Voice Search is a pain--it does not work on this (even the 2.2 version). I have found a thread (cant remember where at the mo, xda probably) that outlines how to install it by adding code to the ROM and reinstalling it (I might have a play over the next few nights and see if I can get it to run:eek:)

Reactions: suicida
Upvote 0
Update from post 65,
Well decided to go with the Leedroid Rom(post 56), works great, after the steps in my no 65 post I installed Rom manager to easily create a Ext partition as Leedroid Rom finds this on install and sorts out a2sd+(back up your card as this will wipe it). I installed the radio update before the Rom, and finally only point to note is that the first boot up I thought I had bricked it but it was just sorting it self out in the back ground and after what seemed like 5 mins but was probably more like 1 booted up to my new Rom.Thanks all

Upvote 0
for the love of god some one help me please rooted this morning no problems. but i can not for the life of me get facebook for htc sense to log in keeps saying unavailable try again later using Leedroid v1.4c

have you read through the LEEDroid thread on xda and posted this on there? It may be a known issue. Are you experiencing any other problems?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones