• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting UNACTIVATED Droid 1 to allow tether???

ibrooks123

Lurker
Mar 31, 2011
Ok, so I had trouble rooting my droid 1 in the first place because z4root never worked properly. After going thru about 70% of the rooting process, z4root shuts down and if I try to reopen it, it force closes and slows the whole phone down until rebooted.

Now, I bouight a Droid X that rooted easily and I love. But, I would like to know if it's even possible to get past the "activation" screen in order to get to the phone, and esentially the ability to root the phone, although it is not connected to VZW.

Now I know without an active service, that there would be no signal to wireless tether to, but I have a solution to that I'd like to try out. But before I can, I need help with the above mentioned issues.

Is this possibe? If so, how can it be done?

...But, I would like to know if it's even possible to get past the "activation" screen in order to get to the phone...
Is this possibe? If so, how can it be done?
Yes. At the activation screen touch the upper left corner of the screen, then upper right, then lower right then lower left (start in upper left corner and move clockwise). This will let you bypass the google activation screen.

Upvote 0
Jeffery, I think if I didn't know that basic fact I most likely wouldn't have even found this forum!

Its hard for me to put what I'm thinking into words...

But, is there a way to get the Verizon 3G Mobile Hotspot onto a Droid 1? I've tried using .apk installer and it didnt take, or I didn't do it properly.

Upvote 0
Jeffery, I think if I didn't know that basic fact I most likely wouldn't have even found this forum!

But, is there a way to get the Verizon 3G Mobile Hotspot onto a Droid 1? I've tried using .apk installer and it didnt take, or I didn't do it properly.

I wasn't being rude, I apologize if I came across that way. To answer your question though, the 3G Mobile Hotspot functionality is an additional optional feature to your phones regular plan.

So you need to have regular phone service first in order to add the 3G Mobile Hotspot.

Verizon | Answers to FAQs about 3g mobile hotspot

Hope that helps. Let us know if you figure out a way around that.

Upvote 0
AFAIK, the WiFi Hotspot allows a device to be a wireless router, where the WAN portion of the device uses the radio of the phone to use data via either 3g or 1x on VZW's network. The LAN portion uses the WiFi radio in the device to allow other devices to connect to the WAN. Get it?

In layman's terms. WiFi hotspot makes phone just like wireless router at home. Wireless router at home connects to the internet (WAN) via cable, DSL, or sattelite depending upon who your ISP is. All your wireless devices at home connect to the wireless router (LAN) to access that internet connection. You cannot use a wireless router all by itself to connect to the internet without 'tagging' along somehow to another's WAN connection.

Finally, the hardware in the A855 isn't set up for true access point style WiFi. It will allow adhoc connections which means some devices will be able to use it, and others will not.

good luck

Upvote 0

This post makes me laugh. "If I didn't understand that it was impossible to do what I want, I wouldn't have found this forum. How do I do that impossible thing that I want to do?"

I'm not trying to be rude, but that's what you just said. Maybe I'M misunderstanding you, in which case I apologize... The way I see it, you're asking how to turn a phone with no data into a wireless access point for other devices to pull data from. Where do you propose that the data service come from?

Upvote 0
This post makes me laugh. "If I didn't understand that it was impossible to do what I want, I wouldn't have found this forum. How do I do that impossible thing that I want to do?"

I'm not trying to be rude, but that's what you just said. Maybe I'M misunderstanding you, in which case I apologize... The way I see it, you're asking how to turn a phone with no data into a wireless access point for other devices to pull data from. Where do you propose that the data service come from?

You are misunderstanding. They want to use their Droid X to tether their unactivated Droid. Unless it is I who is misunderstanding.

Upvote 0
You are misunderstanding. They want to use their Droid X to tether their unactivated Droid. Unless it is I who is misunderstanding.

If that's the case, why does he want 3G hotspot on his unactivated Droid?

If you're wanting to run tether on your DX and connect to that with the Droid, you just use the regular wifi connection, and you initiate tethering on the DX.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones