Rooting / Updating problems.

Last Updated:

1. alexm25346

alexm25346 Member This Topic's Starter

Hey Guys,

Let me preface by saying that I have been all over every 'droid related forum and tech site, been to the farthest reaches of the interwebs, and have still been unable to figure out what I am doing wrong.

Here is my device info:
    Milestone
    Telus
    Build #: Schols_U2_03.11.0
    Kernel Version: 2.6.29-omap1
    Firmware: Stock 2.1 with update 1 from telus.

Now my problem, I am trying to force upgrade from my current firmware to 2.2. At first I tried doing the update without rooting first, following the steps listed on numerous different forums (link: http://androidforums.com/motorola-d...update-motrola-droid-frg01b-update-1-2-a.html) I tried using just my phone, and when I tried flashing the update.zip I got the "whole-file signature fail" message. I tried different stock 2.2 rom's and different means of getting them onto the SDcard. The directory was good, the name was good so I cannot see why this did not work. Next I tried to root my phone first as I thought perhaps I needed the superuser permissions to flash an update. However, I cannot get RSD Lite 4.6 to recognize my Milestone once I have it in bootloader mode. It says connecting, but even after waiting quite a while it never recognizes the device. prior to each attempt at flashing the rom or connecting to RSD Lite I did a factory reset and 2 cache wipes. If anyone could help me out or can see any issue with my methods please let me know! I can't even install a custom 2.1 rom and go from there, I'm absolutely stuck on this stock 2.1.

Advertisement
  2. TwinDragons

TwinDragons Well-Known Member

alexm25346 likes this.
  3. alexm25346

I had tried to follow this guide originally, however I am having no luck getting RSD Lite to recognize my device, this is probably an error I can fix on my own, but in response to you I do have one question. I am having troubles understanding the purpose of all the steps needed to root / upgrade my android phone. I understand the concepts in general, but I cannot seem to understand why I would need to use RSD Lite to flash a 2.2 sbf in order to upgrade rather than just flashing a 2.2 update.zip from SD card, I have a little experience with C++ and C# app development and computer science theory but this is still a little bit beyond me. I have found that although the guides I have seen have had excellent step by step instructions, they haven't really the "why" behind each step, and I think this would really help me root / upgrade my device.

4. TwinDragons

I believe since the Milestone bootloader is locked we only have limited access through an update.zip. On the other hand you can flash any SBF with RSD lite as long as it signed.

To get your phone to be recognized try turning on usb debugging mode Settings>Applications>Development. Ensure that the drivers install properly. If they don't, uncheck USB debugging and recheck USB debugging.

If you have more questions I'm sure one of us will be able to answer them!

alexm25346 likes this.
  5. alexm25346

ahhh, well that makes sense! I knew that the droid / milestone had been pretty much locked down on 2.1, but I just couldn't understand the purpose of flashing the .sbf's using RSD Lite, still having no luck getting RSD Lite to recognize the device, even with debugging on, I took a screencap of what I am seeing, perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I can see some problem, all the relevant pics have been attached, hope someone out there can point out my disfunction!

Attached Files:

6. TwinDragons

Everything looks fine to me... I'm not sure what you're having trouble with...is the Start button greyed out?

If you're wondering why it doesn't say Milestone anywhere that's just how it is and this can be seen in the screenshot in the guide: MILESTONE 2.1 update and root guide.

7. alexm25346

no it's not greyed out, I can try and flash it, but then it gives me a failed flash error, ill take another screen and attach it of the result. as well RSD is not creating log files, and I can't edit the .ini to manually change the config settings, it says it is doing full logging, but no path is created (folder is write accessible etc)

Attached Files:

8. TwinDragons

alexm25346 likes this.
  9. alexm25346

Hey again used my friends computer and glazed the g.o.t 2.2.1 sbf no problem, so far no wifi, but that was only tested on one network, thanks for all your help, hopefully the official 2.2 from telus wont be as probematic lol