Rooting/wifi tethering questionSupport

Last Updated:

1. Montuhotep

Montuhotep Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I searched other wifi tethering posts and couldn't find the answer. If I get a droid 2 rooted, will the wifi tethering be free? And will it be unlimited? Or does Verizon stop me or add charges for going over a certain number of gigs? Help! Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. Super_Six_Two

Super_Six_Two Well-Known Member

If you root and download a tether app from the market, it's free. Verizon won't even know your doing it.

3. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

You can do it free using the wifi tether or barnacle tether apps...

However, from what I've read VZW can tell if you're doing it if they want to, and can tear you a new one if they wanted to go after you about it. They are much more likely, obviously, to look into an account that is using a lot of data. And you are violating your terms of service by doing it.

One post on this that is a good summary:

I believe the best advice is to use tethering on an exception rather basis than the rule...e.g., making it your only internet access option probably isn't a great idea.

4. Jim_KT

Jim_KT New Member

^^^^^^^^

Agreed. I use PDAnet as an expedient way to get data access on my laptop whenever I travel.

5. Montuhotep

Montuhotep Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Got the D2, rooted from craigslist, been playing with it and my DX all day. ;) love the new keyboard, so much better than my old D1.

6. Cilraaz

Cilraaz Well-Known Member

Frankly, I'm afraid to tether. I'm rooted and have WiFi Tether, but as it stands, my monthly cycle ends today and I've used 9.2GB. Now, that's including my honeymoon period and includes a few gig of data from transferring music to my phone via dropbox. I also finally have Timeriffic set up properly so that I have my podcast downloads going over wifi, rather than the cell network.

I'll have to see how it looks next month, but at this rate, I'll probably have big red on my butt even without using tethering.

7. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

Assuming you have wifi at home, you should run on wifi whenever you're home - saves on plan data, faster speeds, win/win.

8. Cilraaz

Cilraaz Well-Known Member

I do, and I do. I think a lot of this data usage was from the mass music transfer via Dropbox, which was done at work where I don't have WiFi access, and the fact that I didn't have Timeriffic set up properly. I checked my data detail and my podcasts were pulling down 50-350MB per day.

It's a good thing I checked that detail, too. I must've had a brain fart when I set up Podtrapper/Timeriffic. My Timeriffic profile was still set wrong.