Rooting with HBOOT 0.84

Last Updated:

1. balzzzy

balzzzy New Member This Topic's Starter

I just recently bought my HTC Desire with specs at this link. My service provider is TELUS here in Canada and has said "[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]TELUS has yet to receive information on the release of Android 2.2 OS for our handsets."[/FONT] The tech rep I spoke to even suggested rooting my phone as he had done so to his, interesting advice from the provider.

I read teppic74's post in the "Rooting with HBOOT 0.83" forum, saying "the bootloader is irrelevant". But having found no resources on the net for instructions on 0.84, I am seeking the help and support of this forum in hopes for some direction and guidance. I also messaged Droid Den. It is appreciated and best regards.

Advertisement
  2. teppic74

teppic74 Well-Known Member

If all you want to do is root then run unrevoked3. If your screen is SLCD you'll need to change the recovery image. The software release is usually what is important, not the bootloader.

3. balzzzy

balzzzy New Member This Topic's Starter

My screen is SLCD and any links to changing recovery images? I'm hearing mixed info on certain ones. Help is appreciated.

4. ajanu

ajanu Well-Known Member

5. rx93

rx93 Well-Known Member

Hi ajanu,

I would like to root my Telus Desire too. Mine is HBOOT 0.83 version as well.
    Isn't it just follow the above link then that would be fine? Would you mind to share your rooting experience? Thank you.

I followed the link and try to get the OpenDesire ROM but the link is broken...:confused:

6. ajanu

ajanu Well-Known Member

My rooting experience was not exactly fun. I didn't realize that unrevoked would flash an incompatable recovery right away, no button press needed. When my screen went black I panicked. Flashed the right recovery then it worked. I had a few issues getting into recovery, had to pull the battery a few times while trying to flash a rom and a radio. Once I got the newest recovery from RomManager, everything has been smooth. I have installed 3 or 4 roms, just flashed a radio last night with no issues. Once the phone settles things go well, getting to that point can get worrysome at times. I you try it, don't freak out when something doesn't go as planned, there is usually a way back.

I'm running Cyanogen Mod 6.0.0, and I'm loving it. I miss some of the sense stuff, but I like other parts of CM more. I like being able to have 2.2 right now. I have no confidence that Telus will release OTA 2.2 anytime soon, and when they do they might push somehting that makes the phone unrootable. It will certainly make it harder if the other OTA updates are anything to go by. Telus is one of the only carriers without 2.1 on the Hero, I don't see why they would get on the ball with the Desire.

The link to open desire worked for me. XDA has tons of roms on there, and RomManager will let you download the most popular ones right from the program. Try a few, you will find some you like and some you hate. That's part of the fun!

rx93 likes this.
  7. rx93

rx93 Well-Known Member

Thank you ajanu for sharing your experience. Sounds like rooting is not as straight forward as I thought. Still struggling should I root mine or wait for Telus offical upgrade... :(

PS I found another OpenDesire ROM 4.0 on XDA.

8. ajanu

ajanu Well-Known Member

If you can't think of a reason you really want to root, wait. You invalidate your warantee by doing it. Once your warantee is over, there is no reason not to root, besides the very small chance of bricking the phone.

I rooted because I wanted to use Android to it's full potential. Eventually I will have a phone with nothing more than what I need on it. Not because I need to, but because I want to have full control over the phone. I got rid of all the sense stuff by taking an AOSP rom, then added back the keyboard. I'm underclocking my phone, have taken control of what processes run when, and have an awesome recovery tool. At the end on the day, it's still a phone and web browser, but I get to enjoy tinkering with it.

9. rx93

rx93 Well-Known Member

Hi ajanu,

Thanks for your kindly advice and I think I am gonna give it a try this weekend. Worst come to worst send it to HTC for repair.:D

Sorry one more dumb question. Do I have to unlock the phone before rooting it?

10. teppic74

teppic74 Well-Known Member

unrevoked3 is now updated to support SLCD screens, no custom image required.

You don't have to sim unlock a phone to root it.

rx93 likes this.
  11. rx93

rx93 Well-Known Member

Thanks teppic74. I love this forum. :D:D

12. rx93

rx93 Well-Known Member

Rooted my Desire tonight finally. Encountered few issues but sorted it out eventually.

Now is running with Leedroid V2.0a & Radio 32.47.00.32U5.10.05.23.:D:D:D