Rooting without Custom Rom

Last Updated:

1. toasty

toasty Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just got an EVO a week or so ago, am planning on rooting once unrEVOked is updated to work with 3.30. Here's the question: I'm primarily interested in rooting to be able to remove Sprint's bloatware, and maybe try out the tethering. If you have root access, can you just freely delete the programs you don't want or need to the same extent as if they were market apps, or do I need to install a custom ROM to get rid of the bloatware?

Pardon what is probably a very simple question, but I've seen some conflicting info on this point, and wanted to be sure I know what I'm getting myself into.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

3. wake69

wake69 Well-Known Member

you can use titanium back up to freeze the app, thats the best way instead of deleting it fully

4. Wadester

Wadester Well-Known Member

You can use SystemApp Remover from the Market to delete bloatware once rooted. Loading another ROM completely replaces your existing ROM which includes your apps and data.

5. toasty

toasty Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

thanks, folks!

6. flyjbaker

flyjbaker Well-Known Member

Not so fast. If you delete the bloatware, you will have issues later on if you ever have to unroot. The common philosophy now is to freeze them.

Also.....I know it is easy to say, "I don't want to install a custom ROM!". But what happens when an update comes out. You have 3 options:

1)Accept the update over the air and lose root
    2)Don't accept the update and live with a phone that has outdated software.
    3) Install a custom ROM that incorporates the update into it.

I only say this because many people root with this being their reasoning. It is not sound reasoning unless you want to lose root(and update OTA) or you don't mind your phone being left behind on old software.

Jus sayin'......

7. Wadester

Can't you just reload an RUU to restore everything, then unroot?

8. flyjbaker

flyjbaker Well-Known Member

I am under the impression that if you delete bloatware apps, then they are gone for good....unless you track the apk down and re-install them. So if you reload an RUU, I still think the deleted apps will be missing. I am just going by what I have read....and my reading comprehension may not be all that great...;)

9. Wadester

An RUU or equivalent Stock ROM restores everything. I would recommend the OP find one first before uninstalling anything.

10. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

You don't need any apps to delete bloatware if you have a bit of linux command-line experience. Also, if you are skittish about deleting the bloatware, you can always just rename the file so Android doesn't see it as an application. For example, if you want to disable Sprint_Navigation.apk, just rename it:

mv Sprint_Navigation.apk Sprint_Navigation.apk.BAK

Later, if you ever want it back, you can just rename it again.

Also, an RUU will flash the stock image with all the crapware, so you don't have to worry about putting them back manually. The RUU won't care how much you've modified your system via root. It will just overwrite the entire partition with the factory ROM.

hortstu and Mr. Ed like this.
  11. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

I am sure your reading comprehension is fine but this is (partialy) incorrect.

when I reflash ...say fresh over fresh...the apps I deleted (that he hasn't deleted) are put back on ...

most just wipe and flash a sense rom

there is also a zip file floating around that has all of the stock apk's

the best way I think is still to freeze them...but I have been able to get back everything I have deleted with few issues