• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting without power button?

So the whole goal of this is to back up my game files (specifically angry birds) because I am getting a replacement inc because my current one's power button does not work. So if there is another way to backup this info without having to root, thats awesome.

So if the only way to do it is to root, is there any method possible (also to reverse the root afterwards, I do need to return this phone) without using the power button? Any help is appreciated.

1. Root using Unrevoked on your computer

2. Using adb or rom manager to backup your data. I believe you have to use the power button to select items in clockwork recovery so doing a backup directly from clockwork is impossible for you (I think)

3. Download Quick Boot from the market

4. Go here: http://androidforums.com/incredible...ideo-howto-unroot-incredible-downgrading.html and download the file from the post. Put it on the root of your sd card, then use Quick Boot to boot into the bootloader. Once there it will scan your sdcard, find the file you put on there and ask if you want to install, confirm and after its done you will be back to stock...

There you Go, no Power Button required.

Upvote 0
You could try My Backup or Sprite as a non-rooted user to backup your stuff. I haven't used those apps so I can't say with full confidence if they'll backup apps and app data and also restore them to a new phone.

If you decide to root to get this done, I would avoid using a Nandroid since you'll be getting a new unit and the restore might not play well with your new phone. Instead, use Titanium Backup and back up apps/data only.

Quickboot is a good idea since it'll get you into hboot with the lack of a power button. Once you're there however, I'd recommend using the newest PB31IMG file (thread and link in root sticky) to restore to the current stock 2.2 and unroot the phone rather than using the one from the video. Your card would also need to be formatted to FAT32 ahead of time for the file to be recognized in hboot.

I'll be honest here, going the root/unroot route is a lot of work to save app data. I'd be apt to try an app that doesn't require root and hope for the best...unless you have plans to root the new phone upon arrival. Then it'd be good practice on a phone that's hitting the bricks anyway and you could get future use out of Titanium if you go with the paid version.

Upvote 0
I have been through 4 phones and each time I nandroided the old phone then restored on the new one and havnt had an issue. I could see an issue coming up if your old phone is amoled and the new one is slcd though. Either way I agree with the previous post, it does sound like an awful lot of work just to restore angry birds...

Upvote 0
I have been through 4 phones and each time I nandroided the old phone then restored on the new one and havnt had an issue.

Good, I'm glad to hear that. I mentioned it based off a test Adrynalyne and another user here did some time ago where they swapped a nand backup and tried it on the other's phone. It made a mess of things because the market was confused to who was the owner of the phone...one of them would buy an app and it would show up in the other's market applist. Kind of a mess.

More I think about it, that was probably because they were using different Gmail accounts? If you get a replacement phone, you'd set it up with the same account.

Again, thanks for the info. Nice to know it works ok.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones