Rooting- Worth It?

Last Updated:

1. Phandroid1

Phandroid1 Member This Topic's Starter

I am a noob who recently rooted. Overall, I've been really happy with the outcome. I was hesitating because of the fear of the unknown. I thought I’d try to gauge the opinions of those who actually went through with the process to help those who are thinking about taking the plunge.

This poll is ONLY for those who have already gone through the process of rooting, updating their radio, and flashing a ROM. Was it the right decision?

Advertisement
  2. DWSFresh

DWSFresh Active Member

I'm still all stock, and still pondering whether or not to root. I am definitely a huge noob when it comes to everything Android, but have a few friends who've made the transition. I suppose I'm just kind of scared of the risk, if there is one.

I love Sense (and the whole stock DInc experience), but I'm wondering if I could make my phone something more personal; more DWSFresh, if you will (and I hope you will).

Regardless of my situation, opinions of experienced rooters would be extremely appreciated.

3. jpallen77

jpallen77 Well-Known Member

No reason not to root now that it can be undone. Too many advantages to mention. You can now make your Incredible "INCREDIBLE".:cool:

4. upther

upther Well-Known Member

I'm glad that I took the leap the other night. My phone is so much more fun now.

5. Nightfall

Nightfall Well-Known Member

I was in the same boat as you were. In the end, I rooted, and then installed the Skyranger 2.5.2 rom. I love it. Now I have froyo and best of all, I have a rooted phone to run all the cool rooted apps. This makes my phone truly incredible. :)

6. stuckpig

stuckpig Well-Known Member

run unrevoked 3
    update to unrevoked forever
    create a nandroid backup
    install radio 2.15
    install the latest cyanogenmod

don't think about it, just do it.

7. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Now that S-On has been released, there's really no reason whatsoever not to root unless it's fear of bricking. And that shouldn't be an issue either as long as care is taken and known paths of travel are used.

8. picord

picord Well-Known Member

I did it and I don't think I will ever look back.

9. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

With the release of the S-OFF/S-ON tool from unrevoked, I can't find a single reason not to root. You can do anything you want to your phone including updating to 2.2, updating radio to 2.15x and can go back to COMPLETELY stock with no worry of voiding that warranty.

GOOD STUFF, and if this leak really is going to be the new OTA, then shadowmite has already stated that there is at least one root exploit still there, so with the new 2.2 OTA, and getting a warranty replacement down the road, you will be good with root.

Now, I'm happy I didn't trade in the Inc. for the Droid2, and let's just say I was damned close today, had run S-ON, and was at the Verizon store with mt $35 restocking fee testing out the DroidX and Droid2, and just couldn't leave HTC. I HATE how the battery door is loose, but I e-mailed not that I'm expecting anything from them, but just so they know lol.

10. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

just do it... makes life easier