• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root rooting your htc sensation 4g

okay so i was looking at some videos and on websites about rooting your phone. and i just wanna know if there is any potentially dangerous stuff that can happen to your phone. or will it be fine as long as you dont download anything stupid. i just wanna know the plus and minuses about rooting your phone.

Before I give you the plus or minuses I want to give you some warnings.

If you are brand new to rooting or Android you need to follow every step of a guide I will give you a link to. Never think you don't need the step, it'll only mess you up.

Here's a guide link: XDA Guide

Bricking your device is not a huge hazard with this phone, it is fairly forgiving. Your can mess up and brick it, but the risk is FAIRLY low.

The biggest and maybe the only plus about rooting is being able to install custom ROMs. If you have spent any time on the root forums you have probably seen Cyanogen Mod which is a custom ROM that is VERY popular.

The minuses are that you can REALLY mess it up. Installing any OTA updates will revert you to stock or brick your device.

Another minus is that if your rooted, your warranty is gone. You may be able to take it back, but you will want to unroot first, if you root, you can't rely on your warranty.

Upvote 0
I call T-mobile yesterday night. Tell them I want to get my phone unlock so I use it overseas. I give her all the detail and this AM, I got my unlock code and how to do it.

Luckly I got a foreign SIM card so I can unlock it tonight.

It was very uneventful. Nothing to it. I thought they would just say no.

It will unlock to foreign carrier only right? What about unlock for use with ATT? That I have to get it rooted first?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones