Rooting your Motorola XPRT

1. jjhong

jjhong Member

Here is an useful step by step guide for those interested in rooting their Motorola XPRT:

All credit to XDA developers: [APP]SuperOneClick v1.9.1 (Root, Unroot, Enable Non-Market App) - xda-developers

Disclaimer: Do it at your own risk. In some cases it could void warranties. Check with Motorola/Sprint first.

I have tested this method using my Motorola XPRT with Froyo 2.2.2, System Version 4.1.15.MB612.Sprint.en.US

1. Download the SuperOneClickRoot v1.9.1 package with drivers:
    SuperOneClick | shortfuse.org

2. Unzip the file in a new folder location of your preference (i.e My Documents/XPRT)

3. In your phone go to: Settings -> Applications -> Development and select "USB Debugging"

4. Connect the phone to your computer using a USB cable. In your phone make sure you are not mounting the SD. Instead select "Charge Only"

5. Windows will detect a new device and will ask for the drivers, select to "Install from an specific location" and browse your harddrive until you get to the folder you created in step 2. Inside this folder look for another folder name "motorola." It will contain the proper drivers for your device. Then Select OK.

6. Windows should install your device in a few minutes and it should be ready to use.

7. Go to the folder created in step 2 and look for SuperOneClick.exe. Open this application.

8. Click "Root" in the main menu and your done!

9. Enjoy installing root apps!

Advertisement
  2. Jesse813

Jesse813 Member

I wonder if this will work on my iMac... and it would be AWESOME if Cyanogen supported this phone, then I would get it! But I dont think CM would though. We can only dream right?
  3. lilk1d777

lilk1d777 New Member

windows 7 automatically tries to install the drivers and failed. Now after uninstalling the failed hardware i dont know how to install the drivers. no option came up for me to browse where to find the drivers. any help on how to do this in windows 7?
  4. jjhong

jjhong Member

5. cheech4

cheech4 Well-Known Member

not that anyone cares, but i have no interest in rooting. this phone stock is fine by me.
  6. dm919

dm919 Member

You're right...no one cares
  7. cheech4

cheech4 Well-Known Member

i sense some sarcasm here, just stating my thoughts. but thank you for your kind opinion which you know what you can do with.
  8. myth90045

myth90045 Well-Known Member

Anyone know how to unroot?
  9. slopokdave

slopokdave Active Member

Same one click program, just click Unroot. Just did it successfully.
  10. jeffegg2

jeffegg2 Member

anyone successful using windows 7 and oneclick?
    :cool:
  11. jeffegg2

jeffegg2 Member

12. scooterinmn

scooterinmn Well-Known Member

Newbe question...
    I am very happy with the OS as is but I understand that if I root the phone, I can uninstall some of the system apps like Sprint TV. Is this true? If so, do I uninstall them like any other app at that point?
  13. dm919

dm919 Member

Yes, you will need Root Explorer from Android Market to remove the stock bloatware
  14. scooterinmn

Great!
    Couple more newbie questions.

When I root the phone, does it wipe the phone out forcing me to reinstall everything?

Other than being able to install non-market apps and custom ROMs, are there any other benefits?
  15. dm919

dm919 Member

Rooting wont erase anything, so you are good there. I rooted mine so I could take screenshots and free hotspot.
  16. scooterinmn

Hmmm... Free hot spot you say? Do tell.
  17. dm919

dm919 Member

18. scooterinmn

19. dm919

dm919 Member

I don't either-but it works perfectly streaming Netflix on my PS3 and its free
  20. idonthave1

idonthave1 New Member

Hey, thx for the post. I followed everything you said and was able to root my phone. I went ahead and made a youtube video. I also added this blog in the video so that other know where i found my info. thx again!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5XU6PM4J44
    rumplesteelskin likes this.
  21. aggedor

aggedor New Member

This didn't work for my Motorola XPRT.

WinXP didn't try to auto-install anything and couldn't update drivers because NO version I could find had any Motorola drivers.

Updated linkage for a SuperOneClick WITH Motorola drivers--or other helpful advice would be appreciated.
  22. katone

katone Member

awesome! rooted my XPRT (sprint) today, only using it for titanium backup and hotspot so far, who knows what's next. great forum
  23. rumplesteelskin

rumplesteelskin Well-Known Member

I used xp. Motohelper 5.5 & the latest superoneclick. I followed the guide otherwis.... xp didnot put
    the moto drivers in a place where xp could find them so i had to
    copy them to the desktop and do it manually ....bam rooted ...installed wifi tether ..
    & its on & poppin......................
  24. Tanara

Tanara New Member

Rooted my XPRT... Still can't get rid of those annoying Sprint apps... Any suggestions?
  25. angel4b

angel4b New Member

Is there a separate procedure for linux users, or will this work for me too?