Rooting

Last Updated:

1. RJA

RJA Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys,

First of all I tried searching vibrant forums for an answer to this question and I could not find it. If the answer is there and I did not look hard enough (I think I did) I apologize...

What are the benefits of rooting??

Are the benefits of rooting the same for all android phones (vibrant, mytouch slide, g1 etc..)?

Advertisement
  2. Puraw Wave

Puraw Wave Well-Known Member

Rooting gives you permissions to parts of the phone you don't normally get, so you can, for example, remove preinstalled apps or customize parts of the Android system you can't by default.

Feel free to correct me, I've only used root to uninstall preinstalled apps I don't want/need and customize the look/custom roms. :)

3. RaistlinMajere

RaistlinMajere Member

Anyone know of a good free alternative to the open-source "Wifi Tether for Root Users"? Have used that on the G1 quite a bit.

Since this phone has so much RAM built in (16 GB with 2 GB reserved for apps, if what I've heard is correct), that's the only reason I would really need to root it.

4. Ashido

Ashido Active Member

i'm concerned Wifi tether for root users as well. I have a Rooted G1 and that's one of the features I use constantly, nearly everyday. It would be a huge impact if I couldn't do this.

5. RJA

RJA Active Member This Topic's Starter

So the only real con would be to remove pre-installed apps on my phone since I can tether with apps from the android market?

6. RaistlinMajere

RaistlinMajere Member

You definitely can root it; and the update.zip seems to be only add root access (as opposed to flashing a whole ROM). Was just hoping that one wouldn't have to, in order to do tethering without buying a paid app.

7. 2FR35H

2FR35H Well-Known Member

Overclocking the processor, removing apps, using apps that require root such as wifi tether apps, some back up and restore apps etc and so on.