Rooting?

Last Updated:

1. tbdaly

tbdaly Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've been wanting to root my phone for a while, but I haven't had the b*lls to do it. I saw unrevoked released what looks like a fail proof way of doing it and I'm seriously considering taking the plunge. I'm debating whether or not to root it now or wait to see if this "possible" froyo update comes out later this month... Any input or words of advice would be much appreciated. :D

Advertisement
  2. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

go ahead and root... you can always unroot

3. tbdaly

I'm scared enough as it is to root let alone unrooting afterwards...lol. Is unrooting a painless process? I literally have no idea what kernels and roms and all that stuff are either. I used to have a blackberry and used to put hybrids and stuff on that, but I bricked my phone once doing it. I just don't want that to happen with my incredible. :confused:

4. DrunkDroid

DrunkDroid Well-Known Member

I have been mulling over the idea as well. I know I sound like a n00b, but what are the advantages of rooting besides being able to uninstall certain apps that were pre-installed on the phone?

5. tbdaly

You're not the only noob, I am also...lol. I guess you can run custom roms (whatever that is) i'm trying to learn. Also, the wifi tethering is a big deal.

6. crimton

crimton Well-Known Member

7. nkk

nkk Well-Known Member

You want my honest answer? Do not do it. If you are not absolutely comfortable doing it then you are not ready. Although UnrEVOked has made the risks small, there are some. First off, read as much as you can. Even stuff about Linux root accounts and root privileges is germane and could help you understand if you want to do it. It is absolutely worth it in my opinion, but you have to be comfortable with what is going on, and the way to do that is to understand it at least on a rudimentary level. IMHO, of course.

-Nkk

EDIT: This comes from a computer nerd that loves tinkering and playing and hacking (the real kind, not the cracking kind). My core belief on technological issues is that if there are risks associated an action, anyone that does not know what is going on has no place doing that action. I have seen people brick phones, I even saw a friend who is a musician lose a laptop because they changed a couple of files in the System32 file in Windows. Heck, even I lost a linux machine be playing with kernel (I did this to learn, so it was a bit different but still works as an example). They had no idea what they are doing, and suffered from the risks that they did not know how to avoid or even fix.

8. Jonamerica

Jonamerica Well-Known Member

I agree with Nkk. If you're even slightly uncomfortable with the process, I'd skip it. But, if you take the time to read up, you may find yourself more comfortable with the idea.

There are plenty of good reasons to root - like being able to make full backups of the phone's system state, running experimental kernels and ROMs that give you better performance and new features, as well as the many root apps out there. But, with each new layer come increased complexity.

Read through my guide: The Complete Guide: Root & Everything Else, read through posts on this forum about root and root questions. The more you learn, the more comfortable you'll be with the process.

9. mrjinglesusa

mrjinglesusa Well-Known Member

I was in the same boat and finally took the plunge today. It couldn't be any easier! I just love the power and flexibility root gives me. I'll worry about what to do when the Froyo update comes when I actually see it being pushed out to users. Until then, I'm happy with my rooted INC running the leaked OTA update. :)

10. NoRegrets78

NoRegrets78 Well-Known Member

Add me to the list of noobs that have never rooted a phone before and was hesitant. Followed the instructions to a T and it was very simple to perform the steps. Learned a lot in the process!