Rooting

Last Updated:

1. Kubbe117

Kubbe117 Member This Topic's Starter

Ok so I know if you Root you phone you lose your warranty. But is there a way to unroot and would that get your warranty back? How would Verizon know that I Rooted my phone?

Advertisement
  2. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

You can unroot and flash the .sbf with RSD lite. They will never know the difference. A ROM is a ROM.

Kubbe117 likes this.
  3. gnath9

gnath9 Well-Known Member

If you know what your doing you will be fine and can unroot. Read the stickies for the instructions.
    Rooting is not for everybody you must really like this kinda stuff and make it your hobby :)

Kubbe117 likes this.
  4. dprice

dprice New Member

rooting in of itself does not void your warranty. anyone who tells you otherwise has not read the warranty. your warranty clearly states "defects or damage resulting from..." therefore, any damage you do (ie brick it during flash or fry the CPU overclocking) to the phone is on you. But that's how pretty much all warranties work, if it's their fault it's covered. If it's your fault, it's not.

For instance, if specific keys stopped working on the keyboard (and no liquid damage or other damage occured) your phone would still be under warranty regardless of root as the defect did not result from altering the software. Read your warranty folks (more specifically the exclusions), nowhere is simply rooting your phone listed as an exclusion. The alterations clause is quite specific and deals only with hardware, not software.

If you don't agree, please, read the warranty that came with your phone. If you find something I overlooked, post it, inform us all.

Scottmc likes this.
  5. Scottmc

Scottmc Well-Known Member

This is good to know. The warranty thing was another reason why I hesitated so long to root (and probably why I made mistakes - I was scared). I was able to go back to stock, BTW (and this is to the OP more than anything) by just using RDSLite and a stock ROM image. Right afterwards I took the 2.2 OTA and my phone looks exactly like when I took it out of the box - literally because I ended up doing a factory reset.