• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
In iPhone, carriers restrict their sim to the device & no other sim is allowed into the phone but jailbreaking solves that problem. Does the same happen with android phones? Is it restricted to one sim & needs to be unlocked? Is this unlocking process the same as rooting? How can i root my Android 2.2? Is it safe? Can I ever unroot it? Because there's no resetting for an android like an iphone. What advantages do a rooted phone have over an nonrooted phone?

In iPhone, carriers restrict their sim to the device & no other sim is allowed into the phone
Subsidy locks aren't unique to the iPhone (they were around well before the iPhone ever existed). Whether a device has a subsidy lock or not depends on the carrier.

Is this unlocking process the same as rooting?
No. Rooting and unlocking are 2 separate things. One has no effect on the other.

How can i root my Android 2.2?
What advantages do a rooted phone have over an nonrooted phone?
Search. Or at least look at the rooting subforums for your device. These are a couple of the most commonly asked questions on every Android forum site.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones