• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rooting??

Is rooting like jailbreaking?
Yes

Is it safe?
Yes

Say I wanted to root my LG Optimus One P500h to 4.0, when it's released (because I'm pretty sure the Optimus won't be getting the official release) would it be OK?
Just find a reliable place for a rooting guide. Either here or XDA, and if you are worried, don't do it until a few others test it and say it works

Is it illegal?
It is 100% legal

Is there a chance I'll kill my phone forever?
Depends on the phone, bootloader, rooting method, etc... Most phones can be rooted with no problems at all, then create a backup. You can screw things up if you start messing with system files without knowing what you are doing. But if you just root to use root only apps, there is very little chance you will screw things up

Or would I be wise to wait until the manufacturers warranty as finished?

Thanks Android!

You do technically void your warranty by rooting. I still highly recommend it though. The benefits definitely outweigh the risk! There is plenty of help here if things do go wrong!

Reactions: digipixel
Upvote 0
Is rooting like jailbreaking? Is it safe? Say I wanted to root my LG Optimus One P500h to 4.0, when it's released (because I'm pretty sure the Optimus won't be getting the official release) would it be OK? Is it illegal? Is there a chance I'll kill my phone forever?

Or would I be wise to wait until the manufacturers warranty as finished?

Thanks Android!
A little information for your particular device.

what is 'Rooting" n why should we......?

Reactions: digipixel
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones