• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting

Just to add a bit of info, this method is for the newest Virgin Mobile update and whenever they start rolling out Optimus V's with this update.

To determine your root method go to settings > About Phone and check your baseband version.

If baseband ends with ZV4 you can use SuperOneClick or Gingerbreak

If baseband ends with ZV5 you can use Gingerbreak

If baseband ends with ZV9 you will need to use the rooting method at the link in previous post

My phone has zv5 I'm using gingerbreak but it seems frozen help!!!!

Upvote 0
The easiest way to unroot now is to install a safe recovery (BobZhome's) and flash the VirginMobile security update, then do a factory reset, then flash it again. ;)
As Jerry mentions ^ a safe recovery is needed. Under no circumstances should you try to do this with the Touch screen recovery or the MultiROM recovery, as it will brick your phone.

Upvote 0
My phone has zv5 I'm using gingerbreak but it seems frozen help!!!!
You need to post this in a new thread for two reasons: A. Not as many people will see your request for help with your problem posted here and B: This thread is a discussion on the Gordita root exploit and the one click zip the OP dveloped.

With the Gingerbreak Root exploit it will take quite a few try's (4-8) to finally get it to root. After 12 minutes if it doesn't reboot your phone you need to pull the battery and start over again. Make sure the phone is in USB debugging mode.

Reactions: benslgdroid
Upvote 0
Yeah had a derrrrrrr moment with the post on here lol.

That's OK. We all have them.
One of the duties of a guide here is to guide members to the best source for getting the advice needed to answer their questions and solve their phones problems. If we know the answer, we give it to you. If we know where you can find it, we tell you where to find it or post a link.

Glad we could help you with your problem. Another great source for info is the All Things Root Guide sticky at the top of this sub-forum. We guides try to keep it up to date with all the necessary info for doing an amazing amount of modding to the members phones.

Upvote 0
Does using this one-click root require connecting your phone via ADB? I can't get ADB to work on my Mac, but would like to try the new radio and see if it improves my reception.

Yes it does, maybe we can help you out, what's your exact problem?

EDIT: Try this video: ADB on Mac tutorial

Reactions: Gibson SG
Upvote 0
Emanu, can you update the procedure to say that USB debugging has to be enable. Any chance of updating the CWM to CWM green?

That's simple, copy the name of the current recovery that's packaged into it, rename jerryscripts recovery the same as the one you just copied, delete the cwm and put in cwm-green renamed to cwm file. Sorry if this sounds confusing..

Upvote 0
This one-click method sound good to me since I'm totally new to modifying phones, and I'm interested in possibly rooting my ZV4 phone. I'm mainly looking to improve the speed/performance of my V and get rid of some of the junk programs to free up space. Will just rooting allow me to do this, or do I need to root and then also install a custom rom (Harmonia?) also? Any help or direction would be appreciated.

Upvote 0
Rooting allows you to get rid of the bloat, and also some other small things. But installing a rom.... now that's where the magic happens. I recommend Jeryscript's BACKside CM7 (Gingerbread). There's soooo many customizations that he has that no one else does (I always end up back with backside as I can't do without it's awesome features). Once you get comfy with that, if you wanted you can try Quattrimus CM9 (ICS) that just hit beta (with beta comes a few bugs) testing.

Some roms have built in performance booster options (overclocking) and some do not. Those that don't, you can download apps that do it on the market or from xda. BACKside has this feature built in.

Upvote 0
That's simple, copy the name of the current recovery that's packaged into it, rename jerryscripts recovery the same as the one you just copied, delete the cwm and put in cwm-green renamed to cwm file. Sorry if this sounds confusing..
The easiest way is to modify the batch file to run the CWM of your preference. Thanks Sammyz for your suggestions.

Upvote 0
Rooting allows you to get rid of the bloat, and also some other small things. But installing a rom.... now that's where the magic happens. I recommend Jeryscript's BACKside CM7 (Gingerbread). There's soooo many customizations that he has that no one else does (I always end up back with backside as I can't do without it's awesome features). Once you get comfy with that, if you wanted you can try Quattrimus CM9 (ICS) that just hit beta (with beta comes a few bugs) testing.

Some roms have built in performance booster options (overclocking) and some do not. Those that don't, you can download apps that do it on the market or from xda. BACKside has this feature built in.

Thanks for the insight. Sounds like I should consider a new ROM for what I want. However, I'm still not clear on the basic process. Do I need to root my phone first (using the 1-click method above) no matter what, and then anytime after that I can see about putting in a custom ROM if I decide to? Or does the install process for installing a new ROM include the root steps?

BTW, can you also possibly recommend a simple step-by-step guide for installing ROMs that would be good for a beginner? Thanks.

Upvote 0
How we direct you is going to depend if you want to install the ZV9 update or not. IMHO you should probably wait on that. Reason being is once you install it you will only be able to use the ZV9 compatible recoveries/roms. I feel that someone new to rooting and roms may like the freedom to choose among a wider range of roms until you settle on something you will thoroughly enjoy. This may help later on in making the decision on weather or not you want the ZV9 update.

How do you wish to proceed?

Edit: sorry, forgot to answer your question hehe. Yes, you will need to root the phone first. After you root then you can decide what rom you wish to try. You can remain rooted without a custom rom also, if you so desired. I did that for awhile until I got up the nerve to install a rom. Go at your own pace, and don't do anything until you're comfy with it. ;)

Reactions: duvallite
Upvote 0
If you root your phone you will need to install a custom recovery and then make a backup of your system/ROM using the backup option in said recovery (this is called a nandroid backup). If you mess something up all you have to do is restore the nandroid.

If you just want to delete the bloatware and overclock, you will need to flash the pica07remix kernel. It's in the All Things Root Guide sticky. Just put the kernel.zip on the root of your uSD card in the same place all the folders are in (root directory of the uSD card). Don't put it in any folder. In the recovery: wipe cache partition and dalvik cache (found in the advanced section). Go to the "install zip from sd card" option/select zip from SD card. Pick the kernel.zip. When done back out and reboot system now.
Go to market and No-Frills CPU control. Set min to 480MHz and leave set. Then start at 729MHz max and bump one setting at a time until it reboots on it's own. Set back down two settings.
Make sure you don't have the "set at boot" box checked until done.
If you go back down below 700MHz then set the min to 245MHz.

To root and get a the proper recovery go the the same ATR Guide already mentioned and in the Guide section look for the ZV9 update guide.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Petrah.
She has a very good point. You can use the first guide in the Guide section to root and install a recovery if you don't want the ZV9 update.

Reactions: duvallite
Upvote 0
The easiest way is to modify the batch file to run the CWM of your preference. Thanks Sammyz for your suggestions.

It doesn't run off a batch file anymore.... The easiest way would be what sammy z said, and rooting with this process install CWM for you, and most roms available are ZV9 Compatible... the way I see it, Just update to the ZV9, use this way of rooting, and from there Custom Rom....Sorry for butting in the convo :p

Upvote 0
I had to uninstall the lg new driver 3.7 to install the older driver found in this thread. When I install the older driver my phone isn't recognized or at least I can't use the USB. Should I just do it with the new LG driver.

This program did not work for me it says some errors and that there are more than one device connected when there isn't and then it tells me to manually reboot into recovery but that is my main problem that my phone does not reboot into recovery it only turns on normally or I can put it in emergency mode.

Upvote 0
Your one-click doesn't work, but I was able to root successfully with its help.

I tried to run the root.bat file but I was getting file not found errors. I placed them in my android platform-tools folder to help, but it still couldn't find flash_image and recovery.img on my PC. I ended it before it could finish.

I decided to run each command manually and just use your batch file as a guide, and that worked great. I'm not sure what the difference is, as I copied each one word for word.

Upvote 0
For the person above, it could be timing, as I'm guessing you probably waited for the phone... as for people having problems with Drivers, these are just the ones that worked for me. If you have different drivers that already work, stick with those, they'll save you some headache. I'm glad I could help guys! Any more questions just reply to the thread or PM me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones