Rooting

Last Updated:

1. walkinhotdog

walkinhotdog Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, i have a few questions about rooting. Sorry if my questions are repetitive, i have been doing some reading so hopefully they arent.

1. Is it true that the 2.1 update will make it so that i will never be able to root my phone?

2. How do you lose root after you have done it? Will rooting and then flashing to the official 2.1 update remove my root?

3. Just to be clear, after rooting i can flash any ROM i want (official, custom).

Someone has been nice enough to post instructions on how to root my asian hero. So that is probably what Ill do if i decide to root it now.

http://androidforums.com/htc-hero/50148-where-do-i-download-rom.html

Advertisement
  2. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

No. Nobody knows for sure what patches have been applied to the kernel and whether they will prevent existing rooting methods. It may take a few days for a workaround to be discovered but with Legend and Desire ROMs already available via leaks the chefs will have a head start.

Any ROM flash completely replaces the existing software, so yes.

No, you'll still be limited to official updates for your handset only i.e. a rooted Orange handset can't install a generic ROM. There's no limitation on third-party custom ROMs though, provided it is built for your handset.

3. walkinhotdog

Hey thanks a lot slug for the reply. Sorry for posting in the wrong place.

Im getting kinda confused about rooting and installing custom roms. Are they two completely different things?

DOWNLOAD THE INSTANT ROOT APK
    http://neilandtheresa.co.uk/Android/InstantRoot.apk

Safe & Easy.

1)Download it.
    2)Save it to your SD Card ROOT (not in any folders)
    3)Open up a file manager on your phone (Download ASTRO File Manager from the marketplace..if you don't have a file manager..)
    4)Find the 'InstantRoot.apk' file.
    5)Run it.
    6)It will say it's been successful

Are those 6 steps all i need to root? I mostly just want to be able to use apps2sd. Im fine with the official 1.5 rom that is already on it but plan to flash to the official 2.1 when it comes out. So if i want a rooted official 2.1 when it comes out, do i root first and then install the official 2.1 or does rooting always go before the flash? Thanks

4. jUsT2eXy

jUsT2eXy Well-Known Member

Hi. Yes those 6 steps are all you need to ROOT. (unless you have a T-Mobile, or 3UK branded phone). Root the phone now and when 2.1 comes out install it. I don't know if 2.1 will unroot the phone. If it does then we will have to root it again. May be there will have to be a new way to root...who knows.

To install a CUSTOM ROM you must first ROOT.

Root > Custom ROM

Just like before you can run you have to walk..same concept.

But to use APPS2SD you must install a Custom ROM which enables APPS2SD. Rooting will not allow you to install apps2SD unfortunately. You must download a ROM such as Modaco 3.2 to do this.

Follow this guide here in the order it says. If it does not work please come back here and I will help you.

Good luck.

5. walkinhotdog

Thanks for the reply just2exy. So i installed the instantroot.apk and it said successful, except at the top notification bar it said failed. I then installed dro cam and startup manager and both run fine, so i assume it was successful?

Does that mean i dont need to use the goldcard method and can go straight to your guide of How To Install A Custom ROM (In this case Modaco 3.2):- ?

What happens if i want to switch back to the official 1.5? My phone shipped with 2.73 so there are no roms to download from the htc site for my asian htc hero.

Oh yea can i update my radio without installing a custom rom?

6. jUsT2eXy

jUsT2eXy Well-Known Member

Ok, lots of questions, which is good. I will try and answer them all as best as I can.

1) hmm if it said failed...could be a problem... make sure you go to the market and search ROOT and read the description of the app and if it says *needs root* or something along those lines download it and install it. If it runs, Voila! It works. I suggest downloading 'Titanium Backup' .. if that works then you have successfully rooted...

2) If step 1 works then yes you don't need to go through the goldcard route (and you can install Modaco ROM) but if it fails that unfortunately you will have to use the goldcard method.

3) You can easily revert back to a standard ROM. In my guide please read the section about nandroid backups. This will restore your phone to how it is now. So for example, you Install Modaco and you don't like it and want to go back to your original 1.5 ROM (what you are using now) you simply just restore your nandroid backup (please read my guide on how to do this).

4) To update the radio you need to root your phone so you can access the Recovery menu. So yes you can update your radio without upgrading the ROM. But installing a custom ROM will update your radio as the developer of the ROM will be using the latest Radio available.

If you need any more help please don't hesitate to ask any further questions. :eek:

7. walkinhotdog

Turns out i need to use the gold card method :( sounds like a real pain in the butt.

Looking at the goldcard method, since it downgrades the build, i sort of have to continue until i have a custom rom installed right? Since my phone does not have a downloadable 2.73 and id rather not stay on a lower build.

Would you recommend that i just follow those 3 steps given to me in my original post, so i wouldnt have to bounce back and forth between his and your posts (id prolly get lost bouncin back and forth xD)?

Im also a bit worried that those 3 steps do not mention doing a backup anywhere.

Thanks for answering my million questions. Id give you a hug if u were nearby