Rooting???

Last Updated: 2012-12-22 20:46:39
  1. JEG123

JEG123 New Member

Ive got a desire but its running slow and the memory is awful. Ive heard of people rooting and updating to jellybean. I havent a clue what either of these mean :confused: could anyone help me please?

Thank you :)

Advertisement
  2. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

Visit the Desire All Things Root forum and you'll find a sticky post "Desire All Things Root Guide" which contains a lot of information about this.

"rooting" means (in Windows parlance) gaining administrator access. Allows you to change otjer things.

Most custom phone software ("custom ROM") gives you ways of extending the phone's storage, and when rooted you can load that stuff.

JellyBean is Android 4.1. You are probably using 2.2 ("Froyo"). But there are other options - the fastest and most stable Desire ROMs are still based on Gingerbread (2.3 - there is a theme to Google's naming ;)).

Read the faqs, and we'll be happy to help :)
  3. JEG123

JEG123 New Member

Thanks. So should i root my phone then install gingerbread?
  4. togger161

togger161 Well-Known Member

I would say yes, root the phone then install a custom rom. I had an HTC desire and it runs much better now (My wife has it.) It will void your warranty if you have one.
    JEG123 likes this.
  5. JEG123

JEG123 New Member

Thank you. Ive been looking at how to root and it looks so complicated :( Im not a very techy person lol
  6. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

Read it a couple of times, then let us know what you don't understand.

It's intended to be step-by-step, but not to be a "blindly type this without understanding" recipe because we reckon that it's not good to modify software like this without some knowledge of what you are doing. But if you can work out what each step is about, the whole lot comes together.

The "unrevoked" method has fewer steps, but "revolutionary" gives you more options.
  7. nicka3200

nicka3200 Well-Known Member

It does seem very complicated at first but take it one step at a time. The information is all available in the root guides & help is given very willingly on these forums.

The first step is always to root your phone so read the following:

http://androidforums.com/faqs/443075-root-terminology.html

http://androidforums.com/desire-all-things-root/221212-faq-rooting-updated-16th-may-2011-a.html

Then decide which method you want to use & follow the relevant guide. If unsure at any stage just stop & ask.
  8. shauny13

shauny13 Well-Known Member

The thing is, it doesn't make much sense reading it. Only when you are actually doing it things become clear.
  9. JEG123

JEG123 New Member

Where would i download gingerbread from?
  10. nicka3200

nicka3200 Well-Known Member