• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Well, as far as a true "One Click".....it is not one click. However, rooting the S3 is very easy:)
What carrier are you with?
Can you post a link to that particular "One Click" method?

Also, in the stickies above, there are different root forums for the different carriers for the S3. They all vary a little bit as far as procedure and files. :)

So that is where we should start.
First, what carrier do you have? :D

Upvote 0
Tbh, if you dont really understand what rooting does or how its done then you should be careful. the rooting processes on the s3 are really safe but its what you can do after rooting that can really mess with your phone so read up on it a bit. As Mike says, the root forum for your version of s3 is the best place to start.
This isnt "noob bashing" lol, its just that noone likes to see someone mess their phone up and have no warranty to fall back on :)

Reactions: ron316
Upvote 0
I think the term "easy" is relative. I rooted my phone for the first time ever last week and I would say that rooting is non-trivial. It involves downloading files, connecting your phone to your PC to move files around on your phone and a battery pull among other things. The process took me about 15-20 minutes. I was going through the steps slowly.

Before you root, what is the reason you want to root the phone? My reason is that I want the phone to automatically switch to different keyboards depending on the orientation of the phone. I didn't do anything more that required root.

Reactions: Asinine and ron316
Upvote 0
the carrier is telus. as far as rooting it seems your phone is faster. and i read some were you can get better camera is this true.and thanks for all the replies

Responsiveness will depend on what you do after rooting. Rooting itself doesn't really affect how fast your phone is. For me, I just rooted my phone because I wanted to use Keyboard Manager. This app automatically switches keyboards when the screen orientation changes. It has no effect on how fast my phone is.

Upvote 0
ok whats the purpose of rooting

More customization
Flashing different roms can help attain better battery life, smoother faster phone, and far more customization options.

Be careful though, with telus it does void the warranty.

I'm on telus as well, and I loved my phone before I rooted it and started trying different roms.

Now that its rooted and I'm running a custom rom, my phone is faster, has better battery life, and I can make it look even more like how I want it.

Upvote 0

Full control over YOUR device.

Android is open source. As such, you can make whatever changes you like to the device. With that power comes responsibility. Make sure you read and know what you are doing before doing something (or ask questions, that's what were here for ;))

Not a programmer? No problem, there's plenty who are and share their work for free for the community.
Want more battery life? No problem. Better performance? No problem.
Features that aren't available in the stock ROM? No problem.
Undo things your carrier disabled? No problem.

Ultimately...Rooting is about freedom.

I'll never own an unrooted device.

Upvote 0
as anyone used the root easly now that they advertise at the top of the page on this forum. I think on the main page

I haven't seen the advertisements, but don't use it. If you would like information on rooting, we can provide you the correct links with the information and step by step directions you need.

Its insanely easy to root this device.

Upvote 0
as any one used this one click rooting program I see on the internet I seen the advertisement on a web site I want to root but im worried to srewup my phone
Before you think about rooting, do lot's of reading, and ask question in this board, it is the wholy grail of the mod community. http://forum.xda-developers.com/?nocache=1

Upvote 0
Before you think about rooting, do lot's of reading, and ask question in this board, it is the wholy grail of the mod community. http://forum.xda-developers.com/?nocache=1

Xda is great for being a single place to download the files to modify our phones, but its for developers and by developers. Thats the mindset of the place, and they make it blatantly obvious in their welcome video. I used to help out there quite a bit, but enjoy the laid back community/support focus that we have here at AF.

Rant point: going there and asking basic questions is likely to get someone flamed. Here, we'll answer any questions you have to make sure you don't end up with a brick :thumbup:

Upvote 0
Xda is great for being a single place to download the files to modify our phones, but its for developers and by developers. Thats the mindset of the place, and they make it blatantly obvious in their welcome video. I used to help out there quite a bit, but enjoy the laid back community/support focus that we have here at AF.

Rant ponit: going there and asking basic questions is likely to get someone flamed. Here, we'll answer any questions you have to make sure you don't end up with a brick
That is not the case, not from my experience, I am not a developer and the XDA community has showed me the way, and has answered many of my questions. Not saying this forum is not helpful because it is very much, but in regards to rooting, unlocking and ROMING, XDA is the way to go.

Reactions: ron316 and Rxpert83
Upvote 0

If you don't know, then I suggest you don't. You have to ask yourself, if there is anything you want to do on your phone that you cannot without rooting. If there is nothing, then I recommend you don't bother. An Android phone can already do so much without rooting. Just use your phone as is and enjoy it first.

Rooting does allow you to do more with your phone than you already can. There are some things that are locked down, partly for your safety and party because the carriers and phone manufacturers want you to use (or at least be aware of) certain services they provide.

My recommendation is to just use your phone unrooted. I'm sure you can already do many things that you want to do on your phone without needing to root. Don't get sucked into the ads because you may end up getting stuff that you don't really need. If there is something you want to do, but cannot unless you root the phone, then you should consider rooting it.

Personally, I used my phone unrooted for almost a year now. It wasn't until I started using both SwiftKey and Swype (both alternate keyboards) that I considered rooting my phone. You see, I use SwiftKey when the phone is in landscape and Swype in portrait. Normally, I would have to manually change the keyboard between SwiftKey and Swipe because an unrooted phone does not allow an automatic change of the input method without prompting the user. By rooting the phone, I can bypass this restriction and use an app that automatically switches the input method based on screen orientation. I did this last week. Other than this, there isn't any other reason I would need to root my phone.

He's on telus, so he'll have the I747M

The rooting method he'll need to follow is in the all things root AT&T sub forum

If you do decide to root your phone, use the rooting method for AT&T phones. This method works on Galaxy S3's for Telus, Bell and Rogers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones