Round 2: Rooted Droid vs. Rooted Droid Incredible?

Last Updated:

1. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Well, it's being reported, however not confirmed that the Droid Incredible has finally been rooted. He's also reporting that he's OCed to 1.5GHz! What's more he's working on 2GHz! Good Lord, could you imagine?

I've been saying that as of right now, based on personal preference, that a rooted Droid is the best option. But this will def start to sway opinions, including mine.

This was reported in the Incredible subforum by M4gicM@.

HTC Incredible Overclocked to 1.5 ghz! Next step 2.0 ghz... | Nine By Six

Edit:
    And there ya go!

Advertisement
  2. Rodeojones

Rodeojones Well-Known Member

2Ghz? Wow. I've been in total agreement with you that a rooted Droid is the best option. If this report is true I, too, might be reconsidering my stance on this.

3. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

Hm.. I'm not sure whether I believe that. With the Nexus One the snapdragon was notoriously difficult to overclock. The only reason the Droid's OMAP is so easy is because it is designed to run at a wide range of frequencies, up to and including 1ghz from the factory. Essentially the Droid is underclocked.

4. YankeeDudeL

I'm def skeptical of anything I read, especially on the internet. I've seen many in here talk about how difficult it would be to OC. But I can be cautiously optimistic.

5. nstallion

Well assuming it's true, a rooted Incredible would be pretty sweet. I still don't like the screen on the incredible and I'm one of the few who likes a physical keyboard though.

I also don't like how prone they are to damage when dropped, but I suppose I could use a case (which I HATE).

All in all it's still a tough call for me. I think for a lot of people they would choose an Incredible though, especially considering how nice that camera is.

6. YankeeDudeL

Now that I've grown accustomed to Swype, I don't use the physical keyboard as much, but I do like having it just in case. I def love that this is a tougher phone, I certainly need it. I'm a huge klutz.

The thing I like about these phones is that they're both solid options for diff people's needs. However, there's something that's not so appealing: The fanboyism for the DI is starting to get out of hand.

7. bp328i

bp328i Well-Known Member

Here is a link at the bottom of the blog that shows a picture. I still don't think I will leave the Droid and I never use the physical keyboard. The Incredible just feels cheap to me when I hold it.

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVHf3U0

8. snake_fist_gung_fu

snake_fist_gung_fu Well-Known Member

Yea its rooted but its the same snapdragon processor thats in the Nexus One. I dont see how you can overclock the incredible but not overclock the Nexus One. Its the same processor. I mean it would be really cool if true and if it is. I just have to wonder how long your battery will last at 2GHz. Thats stupid fast.

9. YankeeDudeL

I like stupid. lol

10. ech0

ech0 Active Member

Correct me if I'm wrong (because I very well may be), but isn't the actual CPU that's packaged in the Snapdragon package pretty much the same CPU that's in the Droid/iPhone 3GS, just clocked higher?

I'm sure there are modifications that have been made to it in order to comfortably run at a higher speed, but from what I've read and understand is that it really isn't that much different. Most of what is called "Snapdragon" has to do with the actual included chipset features more-so than the actual CPU.

If that's the case, wouldn't it be safe to assume that, given the proper conditions, the Droid could be clocked that high?

11. bp328i

bp328i Well-Known Member

In some of the post he says "2.0 should (in theory according to specs/code) be possible as well."

He compare it to the Droid running at 1.5GHZ and 1.8GHZ, and we all know how that went. I don't see the Incredible running 1.5GHZ let-a-lone 2.0GHZ and being stable, but I would love to see it.

12. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

One potential issue - given the issues reported w/battery life on the incredible, overclocking to 2 GHz seems like it could turn it into a paperweight pretty quickly...

13. jyarbrough20

jyarbrough20 Well-Known Member

according to Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog this claim is a fake....go check out the article....some kid claimed it, but lied! If the nexus and incredible have the exact same processor, i to agree that overclocking would be just the same on the incredible.

14. bose301s

bose301s Well-Known Member

The CPUs are extremely similar in that they are both ARM Cortex A8 family chips and ARM controls their architecture much more strictly than Intel does the x86 architecture that PC processors use, thus all Cortex A8 processors are pretty comparable no matter who makes them unlike the differences in the x86 chips made by AMD and Intel. Whats different is what is also in the package, the Snapdragon contains the cellular modem and GPS on die whereas with the OMAP 3430 you needs separate chips for that but the OMAP 3430 does have the GPU integrated and it is more powerful than that generally used with the Snapdragon chips.

15. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

See, they could have made it somewhat believable if they hadn't been complete idiots and claimed that they had clocked it to 1.5GHz. We know Snapdragon doesn't clock that high. No mobile processor does that right now, and possibly never will. It's like the wall around 4GHz that was hit with desktop processors on air cooling.

16. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

Holy crap! That is one big cluster F!!!! I just read the thread in the Incredible forum here, over at XDA, and Alldroid in the mix...It wasn't even Jake that posted the pic...It was a fake Jake...

Man...And I thought the Droid drama was crazy (Blackdroid, Alldroid)...

17. riffdex

riffdex Well-Known Member

What's the stock speed for the Incredible?

18. Eristotle

Eristotle Well-Known Member

19. Fadelight

Fadelight Well-Known Member

Oh, how I would love to hear more about this hypothetical wall. I shall be waiting on pins and needles from behind the keyboard connected to my PC which is running a PhenomII x3 2.8ghz CPU @ 4.15ghz using a xigmatek S1283 air cooler and 2 fans and has been running rock solid stable for 11 months now.

I'd also like to discuss with anyone here who chooses why I have one of a hand full of droids that was able to run 1.3LV cores without any stability issues at all, while reading post after post after post with people claiming their phone became unstable at 1.1 or 1.2ghz.

During either of these discussions, I would point out what anyone who knows anything about such electronic devices already knows... especially those who overclock. no two will behave the same way, and there is no telling what one person can do. Just because the vast majority cannot do it doesn't mean one single person wouldn't be able to by some fluke.

Sure, this story has already proven to be fake. Doesn't mean the snapdragon can't be OC'd to 1.5ghz by some random person with that one anomaly chip.

As for the OP... I'll wait for the Droid 2 to come out. I'm one of those random die-hard physical keyboard addicts. No touch-only for me. ;)

20. snake_fist_gung_fu

snake_fist_gung_fu Well-Known Member

Im glade Im not the only one that dose not trust touch only. Still if 2 or 3 GHz is possible I just dont see how battery life will not be short. You know that has to draw a lot of power. A comp has the advantage of having a AC current that our phones dont have.

21. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

22. nstallion

I also like the physical keyboard. For me one of the main reasons is that when you use the on screen it takes up the whole god damned screen. I don't know why this doesn't bother more people.

23. djkeller3

djkeller3 Well-Known Member

24. nstallion

25. Fadelight

Fadelight Well-Known Member

I heard they would be going that route soon. I am definitely excited to see where this will go. "Droid 2 - 1.2ghz dual core". MMMM.

It definitely differs from the PC world, though. Single core PCUs were well beyond 2.5ghz when they first released dual cores, and the dual cores were all clocked at 1.6 - 1.8ghz. It seems odd they just made a dual core which is 200mhz faster than its single core counterpart. :confused: