• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Router App?

There have been various router apps for all major smart phone platforms for years. Some give you connection over wifi, some only over USB or bluetooth. Some are free, some are not. Some require an unlocked, jailbroken, or rooted phone.

My guess is that it may be a little while before someone figures out how to share the wimax radio via wifi or USB since it is new hardware/software but there will be free and cheap 3G tethering apps available probably from day 1. Obviously if you are rolling in dough or really need a 4g router out of the box, Sprint is betting that you will purchase their commercial branded 4g router app.

Upvote 0
There have been various router apps for all major smart phone platforms for years. Some give you connection over wifi, some only over USB or bluetooth. Some are free, some are not. Some require an unlocked, jailbroken, or rooted phone.

My guess is that it may be a little while before someone figures out how to share the wimax radio via wifi or USB since it is new hardware/software but there will be free and cheap 3G tethering apps available probably from day 1. Obviously if you are rolling in dough or really need a 4g router out of the box, Sprint is betting that you will purchase their commercial branded 4g router app.

I could be wrong but I don't believe it matters. I think that the software routers will transmit the signal whether 3g or 4g.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones